Viper skid plate protector...

YamiSwami

Have a couple of questions here....

1.installing a skid plate protector. What kind of hardware do you use? Im good on the rear portion I drilled holes in the aluminum portion and used stainless washers and screws no problem, but the front portion where it mounts to the plastic belly pan, i tried the same thing and the plastic is so thin the screws just popped out. Im thinking stainless bolt with washers on both sides and stainless lock nut. Suggestions?

2. When attempting to install the plate naturally I rolled the sled on its side and immediately noticed the bottom of the front heat exchanger had been "JB" welded from what appears to bee the result of hitting something (which is why im putting the skid plate on. However, it is currently not leaking but I think I will chip it off and redo it over the summer. (looks like it could use refreshed) its only a small 2 inch section, I noticed the heat exchanger protectors have been removed to compensate for a 1.5 lug track. My initial review is that there is no clearance issues between lugs and exchanger as i did not see any forms of rubbing on the heat exchanger. I assume 1.5 is probably the max you can go for deep lug . What are you guys running?

So I am for sure over the summer going to get an srx rear heat exhanger and mount it. Which leads me to ask, how difficult a job is this? I assume most people "pop" rivet it in place? Ive never used a pop rivet gun before. I assume you drill a hole stick in the rivet and then use the gun to pop it? Is riveting an art form? Does anyone have a tutorial or pics on before during and after install I could reference.

Apart from pulling the suspension this summer to get shocks revalved and heavy springs, im tearing down the drive shaft bearing, jack shaft bearings and add new chain case seal and fluid. so I will have the sled track off to get get that rear heat mod in place. Amazingly enough the rear skids looks like its still brand new. i will be putting new red colored slides on as well ..

pop rivits are usually just drill and pop them. if doing a lot of them, i reccomend getting a cheap hydraulic pop riviter as it saves your hands. after my 1st tunnel extension i bought one and love having it.

Have a couple of questions here....

1.installing a skid plate protector. What kind of hardware do you use? Im good on the rear portion I drilled holes in the aluminum portion and used stainless washers and screws no problem, but the front portion where it mounts to the plastic belly pan, i tried the same thing and the plastic is so thin the screws just popped out. Im thinking stainless bolt with washers on both sides and stainless lock nut. Suggestions?

I used large 1/4" countersunk stainless screws (after counter sinking the holes in the skid plate) so that the attaching hardware is flush with the skid plate.
Most folks use 3/16" pop rivets which work just fine and are low profile but not flush. Make sure to use a backer on the under hood side of the rivet.
Google "pop rivets" and you'll find many videos - nothing to it.

Yepper. On the inside. Make sure the washers are nice and snug to the grip when you select them. No slop. It might take a 2 washer stack. Usually the Surebonder brand washers that are beside the rivets and guns fit nice and tite. Now having said that, I’ve found tite washers in the hardware isle too.

Back