2002 viper 700 starter problem

Cooper0809

Just picked up a 700 viper for the girlfriend and the estart isn’t working anymore. When I bought it it was working, but now it seems like it’s not engaging...just spinning and won’t pop out and grab the ring gear on the clutch. Any ideas on what may have happened here? I’m thinking it’s a simple fix but not sure. Thanks guys, I appreciate any info!

Just picked up a 700 viper for the girlfriend and the estart isn’t working anymore. When I bought it it was working, but now it seems like it’s not engaging...just spinning and won’t pop out and grab the ring gear on the clutch. Any ideas on what may have happened here? I’m thinking it’s a simple fix but not sure. Thanks guys, I appreciate any info!

It sounds like the solenoid is not working. Have you tried to jump it with a screw driver? Be careful doing it that.

If they're simular to the redhead motor, I had to remove the primary clutch to remove the starter, it was still a pain in the ***, but doable. You can check your solenoid using a a multimeter ( my preferred method) or a simple trouble light works well.

On another note, nice to have you back!

Last edited:
The starter gear is not springing out to engage the ring gear. A spring holds the starter gear down until the key is engaged. When you hit the starter the gear jumps out to engage the ring gear. Something is stuck there. You can look it up on any parts list like on partzilla

Ok thanks Vincent! Seems like it would be easier to take primary off. I actually just got looking in the royal magazine and noticed the starter motors are only $125.00 or so...might just replace the whole thing for that price, a new bendix and brush kit will cost me close to $70.00 anyways plus my time.

It’s definitely good to be back on the 2 stroke side. Been on the 4 stroke side lately. Viper was hard to pass up at $1400! And it’s very clean!

I actually just tried using the starter and it fired right up...better than my 2018 viper! Lol. I just got finishing talking to the girlfriend about how maybe it was just sticky and that yesterday’s ride may have loosened it up a bit from the heat in the engine compartment..those are my thoughts....

Back