Water pump o Ring stretch

fourbarrel

VIP Lifetime Member
Something I've wondered is if other people have an issue with the o ring seal for the water pump cover stretching and not going back into place. If gone through this a few times, most recently last night, and had to cut the ring and glue it back together and use sealant over the cut. Other than just keeping a new oring on hand all the time is there a way to shrink the rubber or nitrile back so it isn't way out of shape? I tried putting it in the freezer for a few days but that did nothing.I had someone say that with rubber belts freezing them will shrink them So I figured I'd give it a shot.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

not that i have found. i've had to do the cut and gasket maker trick to the water pump o-ring and cylinder head o-rings on bikes before. i think once they heat up to engine temp they lose their memory and the only fix is a new one.

I’ve used this trick with carb float bowel gaskets and it works really well. Boil it in hot water to remove the gas and oil from the rubber. Check for sizing. Then if you need it a bit smaller place in a warm oven for a few minutes. Saved a few float bowel gaskets for me.

Last edited:
Also when you clamp an o ring between two surfaces for a period of time it flattens it out and distorts its shape. It becomes no longer an o ring in many cases more of an egg ring. This flattening effect causes the o ring to lose its original shape therefore making it difficult to re install it once removed. Always a good idea to use new to guarantee a proper seal since as i said the used one will be flattened and may not seal.

Back