Oil seal leaking. Time to rebuild?

sxviper-s

427A254F-C45D-44B3-ADC4-F009F47313E0.jpgHi all. Took my primary clutch off today to inspect it. As I have a feeling it is beginning to hang up a bit. Although I am not sure what I am looking at. It seams sloppy to me. What should I be looking for?

I have a second question in regards to the oil seal. After removal of the clutch, I see the oil seal leaking slightly at the bottom. Is this a indication it is time to freshen everything up? Or don’t touch if it’s not broke?
Did I get lucky catching it? Engine has approximately 7000 miles on it.
Thoughts and opinions are welcome. Ty.

Last edited:

Hard to see in the photo, but if it is wet and oily around the shaft mating surface i would say it is on its way out and should be replaced... doesn't take much.

If rebuilding the engine, what parts on the water pump should be replaced at this time?

If its not leaking i don't see why anything would need to be done. but if your looking to do something, id say the mechanical seal behind the impeller and the expensive little washer under the bolt that holds it on are the most common sources of failure. on a side note, when installing the mechanical seal do not under any circumstances touch the ceramic mating surfaces of the seal, does not take much to make them leak.

If its not leaking i don't see why anything would need to be done. but if your looking to do something, id say the mechanical seal behind the impeller and the expensive little washer under the bolt that holds it on are the most common sources of failure. on a side note, when installing the mechanical seal do not under any circumstances touch the ceramic mating surfaces of the seal, does not take much to make them leak.

Thank you. I just figured if it is out, change or update everything to prevent future problems. I do not want to do it twice. This will be my first time rebuilding a triple.
I have read about others having problems on occasion with water pump and or seal on water pump.

Back