00 Mountain Max 700 - need help on a few issues

Cascadian

Hello,
First time poster here and looking forward to being a regular part of the community. I just got a used 2000 Mountain Max 700 (151 Deep Powder special) and took it out for the first time after not riding any sled for 15 years. Fair warning, my mechanical knowledge of snowmobiles is limited but I am decently mechanically savvy and have a a general understanding of how they work. I noticed on my first test outing that it pull started with 2-3 pulls with full choke when cold, but after riding for a little while and shutting off for a short period, it would be much more difficult to pull start and always took at least 3 pulls to get started again. Also, it seemed to be running rich with a fair amount of smoke for the first 5-10 minutes of riding..fading away after that, but oil indicator light stayed illuminated intermittently on the dash (seemed to fade under acceleration and come on when letting off). Lastly, I noticed it was pretty sluggish and boggy from takeoff up to 5000 rpms and then it felt fine for the most part.

So far all I have done to it is fresh gas and oil along with a new air filter. Can anyone steer me in the right direction of how to diagnose these issues? Much appreciated!

Yep, clean carbs well, pull all jets out, make sure you can see though them.
Since it’s a mountain max, could be jetted for a different elevation than you are at.
When you have jets out, write down what main jets and pilot jets are in it and post it here.
We can give you an idea of what you should be using based on your elevation.

If oil level is full and oil indicator is coming on your oil sensor may be going bad. I have had to replace those in the past.

For a lot of how to, go to the technical pages and you will find a lot of good information. The jetting will be available for your sled also

Back