SRX 700 chaincase removal to replace drive bearings?

srv540

Hello, I am just wondering if I have to completely remove the chain case to replace a bad drive shaft bearing on case side? It looks like I have to just would like to confirm.

cheers and happy new years!

No, it can be done in place, but it's a more of a pain. If you install the a new seal and bearing first, you won’t get the driveshaft back in.

Last edited:
No, it can be done in place, but it's a more of a pain. If you install the a new seal and bearing first, you won’t get the driveshaft back in.

Thanks Vincent...looks like I will yank off the chain case, thanks for the help!

Maybe someone can add to this as I'm fare from a professional on the subject.

Pulled a drive shaft out of a 600 triple Venture recently and without the bearing removed it wasn't coming out. Reinstalling the same shaft on a phazer 500 chaincase in place but I planned ahead ,.Installed the new seal, then driveshaft, then new bearing, and everything worked out ok. After 450 hard kms, that sled is holding up well.

Last edited:
I think I just loosened it up off the tunnel to gain enough clearance. Not completely removed.

I removed the chain case on 2 different sleds, had to pound bearing out from backside. Not sure how you could get at it without removal, but looks like some have, still, can’t replace the seal unless it’s off anyway.

Do yourself a favor, check and replace the bearing behind speedo cover, chances are it’s shot as well.

I removed the chain case on 2 different sleds, had to pound bearing out from backside. Not sure how you could get at it without removal, but looks like some have, still, can’t replace the seal unless it’s off anyway.

Do yourself a favor, check and replace the bearing behind speedo cover, chances are it’s shot as well.

I did everything in place. Pouded out the old bearing, installed new seal, installed driveshaft, and installed bearing. It's certainly a pain in the a$$ though!

wow !
had to be tough to get the driveshaft out without removing the chain case!
and getting it back in!

wow !
had to be tough to get the driveshaft out without removing the chain case!
and getting it back in!

The Venture has four drive sprockets, so the chaincase bearing must be removed. The Phazer only has the two center drive sprockets so the drive shafts slides out no issue . On top of that, this last time the phazer driveshaft was snapped in two, witch made it that much easier. ;-)

When installing the Venture driveshaft in the phazer I first installed the new seal flush with the step in the chaincase, then slid in the driveshaft threw, then the installed the bearing. Nearly 500 kms later that little phazer it still rippen around great!

When I did my 700 Venture chassis rebuild 3 years ago I had the chaincase completely removed. This time I just didn't what to go threw the trouble so I tried a short cut way and now I know for a fact that it is possible.
That said, I wouldn't recommend this method to a novice.

Last edited:

Yes I plan to replace drive and jack shaft bearings, thx for your input.

I just did this on my 2003 Viper last year. I took the chain case out and at the same time did the 2 jackshaft bearings, speedo bearing and track. Not much more work so might as well take it off, I find things go smoother on a bench.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Back