2001 SRX700 front suspension dilemma

Wizard

One lower radius rod ("control arm") on my 2001 SRX700 (the sled to the left in my avatar) broke and I got one from someone out here last year but put the work of until now. Anyway, the new part is about an inch too short. In looking into it, I've discovered all 4 of mine are longer than stock, so my question is this, does anyone know how much longer the front end parts are from that era SXR?

These do not look like after market as there's no outer tie rod end. They appear to be Yamaha parts with only an inner tie rod end and a normal fixed loop where they connect to the trailing arm, plus the "too-short" one I bought has the same tie rod end threads and I know that one is stock.

Last, and more importantly, does anyone have a lower radius rod with the larger diameter threads (my 98 SRX's have smaller tie rod threads) that measures 17-1/2" from the threaded end (not including the tie rod end) to the center of the loop at the fixed outer end? I'll ask in the VMAX/SXR section, too, but not sure I trust those guys! LOL

Right! But I looked into that; I own two 2002 Vipers and those lower arms are only 17" and have their adjustments on the outer end by the trailing arm where you can actually get to them. But thanks for the idea just the same!

So, I was given the chart that covers this in the service manual and it shows that VMax's and SXR's do have longer control rods so I ordered an 8CR-2384F on EBay and think that may be the ticket. That being said, since it's so hard to get 8DF-2384F's these days, others might consider that you may be able to convert all 4 arms on your '00 - '02 SRX to an SXR setup giving it a little more cushion but losing a little cornering ability. I've apparently been riding mine this way and I still out run anyone on taller newer sleds in the twisties so it isn't that much of a lose of handling. Thanks again for the help!

Right! But I looked into that; I own two 2002 Vipers and those lower arms are only 17" and have their adjustments on the outer end by the trailing arm where you can actually get to them. But thanks for the idea just the same!

So, I was given the chart that covers this in the service manual and it shows that VMax's and SXR's do have longer control rods so I ordered an 8CR-2384F on EBay and think that may be the ticket. That being said, since it's so hard to get 8DF-2384F's these days, others might consider that you may be able to convert all 4 arms on your '00 - '02 SRX to an SXR setup giving it a little more cushion but losing a little cornering ability. I've apparently been riding mine this way and I still out run anyone on taller newer sleds in the twisties so it isn't that much of a lose of handling. Thanks again for the help!

I used Venture radius rods and Viper shocks (with custom upper shock mounts compliments of BeTheViper) when I long traveled my '01 SRX.

Back