Lower chain case bearing

MURDER YAMAHA

VIP Life Member
Need your thoughts.
Replaced lower chain case bearing with a locally gotten replacement.
The bearing was a sealed bearing, not a open bearing like the factory.
I pulled the cover off the gear side, but left the frame side cover on.
Will this cause me trouble in the future ?
Hate to pull the chain case out again if it will be OK.

My only concern is the oil seal behind the bearing. Does it need the oil that would usually come through the bearing or no?

When I rebuilt my Venture's chaincase 3 years ago both chaincase bearings had the track side seals removed and the chaincase side seal were still in place. Some have seen the same as mine and others have reported the exact opposite

I still can't explain this but both bearings had plenty of oil and we're in presteen condition. Again I don't know how oil was getting to them but somehow it was.

Long story short, when I replaced both upper and lower bearings in my chaincase, I left both seals on both bearings , and 8000kms later all is still well.

Last edited:
those seals are designed to hold in grease. as oil is thinner, it work its way past the seal to lube the bearings. seals will then just keep more debris out of bearings.

those seals are designed to hold in grease. as oil is thinner, it work its way past the seal to lube the bearings. seals will then just keep more debris out of bearings.

I agree with you 100%, that must be the answer...

But I run the same bearings in my skid witch suffer tremendous exposure to the elements and water. And these bearings still don't show water contamination after 3 years and 7500kms with ZERO maintenances! How does oil get into something that seems sooo tough in keeping out water contamination ????!!! Lol

Last edited:

Back