03 Viper Head reinstall question

traparatus

First off, big thanks to everyone for posting a ton of great info on here, an invaluable resourse. Helps a newbie out A LOT!

I just got a new to me sled, an 03 Viper Mountain with about 3000 miles on it. While going over it, I noticed some hairline cracks in the exhaust manifold. I figured I better take the y-pipe to a shop and get it welded up. While taking the pipe off, I broke a couple of those dinky little studs that attach it to the head. Oh well, nothing to do but take the cylinder off. Dropped it off at a machine shop today, they'll get the broken studs out.

Here is my question. I'm planning on just re-using base and head gaskets. Should I take the other two cylinders off or just spray some copper on the gasket and bolt the one cylinder I took off back on there?

Also, can I just use bolts to replace the two studs that I broke or is there something special about those studs?

Thanks a bunch, guys. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

First off, big thanks to everyone for posting a ton of great info on here, an invaluable resourse. Helps a newbie out A LOT!

I just got a new to me sled, an 03 Viper Mountain with about 3000 miles on it. While going over it, I noticed some hairline cracks in the exhaust manifold. I figured I better take the y-pipe to a shop and get it welded up. While taking the pipe off, I broke a couple of those dinky little studs that attach it to the head. Oh well, nothing to do but take the cylinder off. Dropped it off at a machine shop today, they'll get the broken studs out.

Here is my question. I'm planning on just re-using base and head gaskets. Should I take the other two cylinders off or just spray some copper on the gasket and bolt the one cylinder I took off back on there?

Also, can I just use bolts to replace the two studs that I broke or is there something special about those studs?

Thanks a bunch, guys. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You dont need to take the other cylinders off, just re torque the head properly and it will be fine. As far as the bolts or stud, as long as the thread pitch is the same, should be fine as well.

Back