2004 Viper Deep Snow Special Info?

Mainer

I found a mint 2004 Viper Deep Snow Special that I'm thinking of picking up. Trouble is I can find almost no information on this model. It's got a 136" x 1.5" track. I know the regular mountain editions run a 144" I think. Is the deep snow special just a mountain with a shorter track? Is it setup the same as a regular mountain? Like I said, I can find zero info online for this model so any info works be great!

"Deep Snow Special" is the Mountain Viper. It would have a 144. It's more likely what you're looking at is a regular Viper that someone extended to 136 and put on a Mountain Viper tunnel extension

"Deep Snow Special" is the Mountain Viper. It would have a 144. It's more likely what you're looking at is a regular Viper that someone extended to 136 and put on a Mountain Viper tunnel extension

Ahhh. Ok, so the deep snow special IS the mountain version. It's definitely a factory machine. It's branded with the deep snow special emblems and everything is one piece. I think he just assumes the track is 136". Anyway, I'm going to grab it this morning. Thanks!

Post up some pics when you get her home

Made the 5 hour round trip today and picked her up. Totally worth it! Sled is in beautiful condition and was barely driven the last 4 years. Took it out in waist deep snow around my place and it performed flawlessly. I'm used to getting instantly stuck off trail on my srx so this is a real treat! Went great on the groomed trails as well. It's definitely a completely different animal than the srx's I ride. But in a good way! I actually got it for my wife but I may need to reconsider that! :twisted: I may have to pick up another non mountain Viper now......
viper1.jpgviper2.jpgviper3.jpgviper4.jpg

Where did you get it?

Got it from a guy in Lebanon. He had it for 5yrs or so. He bought it from Rochester power sports. I see you had one a while back but I don't think it's the same one if that's what you're thinking.

I've never heard of a Mnt. Viper that came stock with anything other than a 144". Hard to tell in a pic, but it looks like a normal 144" to me. Easy way to tell if it is a short track that has been stretched is to check the ski center to center distance. While that can be modified, most just stretch them and don't get the hardware to narrow up the front end. A Mnt. Viper has a 38.6" ski stance. The short tracks were wider. Another difference is the short track's RAM air openings on the sides of the headlights were open, and the Mnt.'s were blocked off...like yours are in the pics. Doesn't mean that someone didn't do that too though.
Mnt. Vipers came with 40-21 gearing, a g-w-g primary, green secondary, and a straight 45 helix.

Mines a 144". The guy I bought it from was just thinking it was 136". It's 144". Thing is a beast in the deep snow! Yes, the ram air inlets are blocked off. Looks like they an be removed easily though but I'm leaving them in place.

Yes, leave them blocked judging by the snow on the hood in your pic! Lol.
If you ever pipe it, make sure to get ceramic coated pipes or you'll have the "infamous powder bog" to contend with. It can be cured for painted pipes, but it doesn't seem to occur near as bad with dipped pipes.
Enjoy. My 03 has had exactly one failure in its 16 year life (knock on wood!). The stator went out in 05 or so. Oh...I take that back. Had a TORS switch fail too.

I don't have any intention of modding it. It's mostly for my wife but I'll do some playing and trail breaking with it for sure.

Back