98 srx no/ weak spark

Srxjay

Hello guys, I’m new to the forum. I know there are a lot of post about this,and I have read many of them. I just don’t know where to go from here. I recently burned a piston in a 98 srx that i have rode for many years. Rather than rebuild the engine I decide to install a complete engine from a 2000 srx. “Complete” meaning engine only. I reused all ignition components from my 98. Btw the sled is quipped with electric start. When installing the new engine the first thing I did was hook up all wiring and check for spark. I pulled the recoil starter and nothing. However, when using the electric start, with the plugs out I will see a decent spark about 2 seconds after cranking. If plugs are installed it slows the cranking speed enough that I have no spark. Seems to me it would be a weak stator. I tested the stator and it tested fine. After some research I decided to replace the Stator with a new one from Yamaha. Same problem. I have replaced the cdi box. Same problem. I removed the engine and inspected all wiring for rubbing in the “problem” areas. Same. I have tested all switches and they all test good. Tors is bypassed. Does anyone have any ideas?. What am I missing? Does anyone know specifically how to test stator output and not just ohms?

The 98/99 and 2000 - 2002 sleds have different electrical systems and the stator/pick up coil have a different spacing. I'm afraid you have some work to do to get it to run as the 2000 into the 98 isn't a direct swap.

The pickup coil will be too close to the flywheel. Not sure if there is room to move the pickup coil out. The flywheel is quite a bit smaller on the 2000 and up. If you can figure out a way to move the pickup coil out to the correct gap I think it would work. You might be better off putting the top end from the 2000 on your 98 bottom end. You could update the electronics if you wanted but you would need a lot of parts from a 2000 up. Here is a link to what you would need https://totallyamaha.com/snowmobiles/aaTECH/TechIndex/SRXElectronicSwap.htm

Back