99 600 Vmax SX - Coolant troubles

GudeMN

I could use some suggestions on what/where to look to problem solve this issue.

In the middle of a ride today, my friend who was on my 600sx told me something was wrong....that the sled felt boggy from the start. I jumped on, hit the throttle and felt what he felt.

Opened the hood to check the belt and discovered the tubing heading into the carb heaters had come off and sprayed some coolant under the hood. Drive belt had gotten coolant on it which was causing slippage upon clutch engagement.

Re-attached tubing, drove to nearest gas station to top off fuel and check coolant levels. My temp light came on as I pulled into the gas station. Lifted hood, coolant in the reservoir wasn't terribly low but I added some anyway.

Ride the sled home and it performed great. No temp light came on and all seemed well.

When I got home, I opened the hood to give things a look and noticed coolant reservoir is completely empty now. Popped the cap to check levels in the main line and there isn't anything in there.

I filled the reservoir and noticed coolant slowly working it's way into the main line with what looks like red sparkles/flecks in it.

What might I be dealing with here? Where and what to look for to find out where my coolant is exiting sled?

Thanks ahead of time.....

I almost made it through the season without any shenanigans!!

Your level dropped after it bleed itself. Just keep eye on level and maybe bleed system. If I had to guess the coolant has never been changed and you have some contaminants showing up now. A drain and refill may be in order.

If I had to guess the coolant has never been changed and you have some contaminants showing up now. A drain and refill may be in order.

Probably true. I took ownership last year and it only had 2400 miles at 20 years old. This is my favorite sled of the lot that I have. and I'd like it to last another 20 yrs. A new track is in order so while I have it dismantled I'll do some preventative/over due maintenance. Any suggestions beyond going through the skid, changing speedo-side bearing, etc.?

like was mentioned, odds are it needs a coolant flush and fill. i like to do mine roughly every 5 years. you will have speedo bearing off and that is a good time to clean and inspect it at any rate along with all the wheels in the skid. if it has rust in any of the bearings, that is the time to replace them as needed.

I bled and filled my coolant lines today. I opted not to drain and flush the systems as I have 1 ride planned next weekend and it may be my last. Conditions in MN are changing fast with temps in the 40s and rain with possible T-storms Tues/Wed next week.

I'm hoping to put a new track on the 600sx in the offseason so I'll do the flush and fill then. Today's project was good practice. I think it will go rather smoothly.

Thanks for the suggestions and tips.

Back