First test ride of the season issues

trevor1203

So i was up in eagle river this weekend and i found a couple issues with my sled. I have a 97 vmax 700 sx triple piped. The middle pipe has an exhaust leak i will have to fix. But another major issue is it doesnt always feel snappy. If i pin the throttle it will climb to 8 grand then fall to 7700 then after holding it for awhile it will snap to 9 grand and fly. And after that it will fly to 9 grand every time. But after an extended period of time of slower trail riding i will have to restart with that long run. Im wondering if im to rich i have unkown pilots but all needles in the 4th clip and 152.5 main jets. I also burnt through a lot of gas like 10 gallons every 30miles. The low end feels weak until after the long run. When trying to keep it 20mph tbe rpms vary but the speedometer needle will start twitching till i get over like 25-30 Any advice will be greatly appreciated

What brand pipes? I assume hauck, slp or CPR ?
guessing your needles are too rich. Pos. 4 is really a lotta fuel...

What brand pipes? I assume hauck, slp or CPR ?
guessing your needles are too rich. Pos. 4 is really a lotta fuel...

There hauck cpr pipes. I have the needle in the forth spot with both washers underneath. I called hauck.power sports and thats where they said to run. But idk if they wanted washers on top or bottom. Do the washers do alot?

My buddy was testing today with those pipes.
He had needles at 3.5/3.5/4
150 mains
The cylinder that had the needle at 4 was too rich, he is going to 3.5 on all needles.
And washers make a huge difference.

There hauck cpr pipes. I have the needle in the forth spot with both washers underneath. I called hauck.power sports and thats where they said to run. But idk if they wanted washers on top or bottom. Do the washers do alot?

Clip in 4th position with 2 washers under clip is 4
Clip in 4th position with 1 washer on top and 1 under is 3.5
Clip in 4th position with 2 washers on top of the clip is 3.25

Clip in 4th position with 2 washers under clip is 4
Clip in 4th position with 1 washer on top and 1 under is 3.5
Clip in 4th position with 2 washers on top of the clip is 3.25

Was he running the stock pilot jets? Also a couple of notes i want to add just to make sure they dont change anything i have a gutted airbox and i run 87 gas. Does that change anything? Thanks again for the responses. I know right now i have 152.5 main jets

Why are you only running 87 octane? Gutting the air box will make your motor run leaner.

Last edited:
I wont be able to accuatly go on test ride until after newyears when we go on another trip. Could i look at my plugs from this past weekend

No. They need to be viewed AT THE TIME this issue is occurring. While it is occurring and without varying the throttle, hit the kill switch. Get off the sled and inspect. Snap a few pictures if you'd like us to put in our .02€.
At the risk of sounding like a d!ck, what is your mechanical ability?

Last edited:
No. They need to be looked AT THE TIME this issue is occurring. While it is occurring and without varying the throttle, hit the kill switch. Get off the sled and inspect. Snap a few pictures if you'd like us to put in our .02€.
At the risk of sounding like a d!ck, what is your mechanical ability?
I have a strong mechanical background just fairly new to the snowmobile game.

Why are you only running 87 octane? Gutting the air box will make your motor run leaner.

I would not recommend running 87 with motor mods, fuel quality is a big issue. Hauck recommends running at least 93, poor fuel could also contribute to running issues

Back