Primary issues V-Max 600XT HELP

kimoaj

Hi everyone! Hope someone can help me on this one..

A few weeks ago I sold my 1996 V-Max 600XT to a friend, since I bought a brand new RX-1 . Anyway, I knew that one of the rollers in the primary was busted, the bush inside one of them was practically gone, and that roller also has a groove in it. The weight going against that roller was also "grinded" off.

I told my friend to not worry and that I would order new parts for him, and so I did, new weights, rollers & plastic washers.

I friend came over and I started working on his primary.

IM004036Medium.jpg

When I was about to install the new weights I discovered that there were no rivets in the new weigths, wich made them 4 grams lighter then the old ones. (the plan was to order rivets and put them in asap).

Another thing I discovered was that the collars that the rollers / weights "slide" on, where sliding back and forth, the collar seemed to be to long , (I figured this would have to be where all the noises that the primary had been making, came from), so I measured on the primary to find out how long the collars should be so that it made the nut on the bolt almost hit the primary, reducing the back and forth movement of the collar that probably made alot of noise.

Anyway, I installed all the new parts, I checked that all the weights and rollers were moving freely and everything seemed perfect. When we started the sled, the primary seemd more noisy then before.

We went for a ride, only about 10kilometer, and when we came back I decided that it would be best to put the old weights on until I got the rivets for the new ones, it rewed way to much and didn`t "engage" before 5.500rpm.

HERE`S THE PROBLEM :

When I took of the weights I inspected the new rollers, non of them where moving freely. The bushings inside them were a mess, totally ruined. What could possibly have caused this?.

I`m wondering if my collar cutting could have caused it?, it shouldn`t since all the rollers where moving perfect even after the collar cutting... (I thought I had to mention it, just incase).

The only solution I saw was to put back all the old parts, which was pretty annoying, having spent about 260$ on parts. I know I can use the weights when I get the rivets, but still.

IM004035Medium.jpg

The new parts

IM004037Medium.jpg

The highest speed this sled reached this weekend , was on the trailer .. :Moon:

I added the pics to great some more interest, I really hope someone can help me, I`m only a kid (19year`s old hehe) from the North of Norway, so I need help from the pro`s in US.

Joakim.

You could have other problems that need to be looked at. The spring? they have wear limits. There are other parts that could be bad like the plastic bushings that the 2 sheaves slide against. There are parts behind the spider that could be worn out.

The weights and rollers are pretty simple. The collars are made to fit with no cutting required. Are you over tightening the nut and bolt? Can't see how you would be able to do that though. Anyway you should have a collar and 2 washers for each weight and roller. It's that simple. Make sure you put the cap on right, there is an X on the inside of the cap and on the clutch, those have to be lined up. If it's put back together this way everything should move freely and if it does and still makes noise it's deeper into the clutch.

Hope this helps ya.

Yeh, ...It's looks like you have done a little unecessary cutting, ...the good news is that the bushings on your weights can be replaced (lot cheaper than replacing the weights), ...the bad news is that your going to have to replace the collars you cut. See attached parts breakdown for proper assembly.

...when you get all your parts sorted out take more photos and post your install before running.

;)!

Attachments

• partimage.gif
    partimage.gif
    19.2 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Ok! thanks for the info everyone !:)

You could have other problems that need to be looked at. The spring? they have wear limits. There are other parts that could be bad like the plastic bushings that the 2 sheaves slide against. There are parts behind the spider that could be worn out.

I have never taken a primary (nor a secondary for that matter) apart, I mostly wrench on bikes. Can I get "inside" the secondary my self or should it be left to the dealer?.

Yeh, ...It's looks like you have done a little unecessary cutting, ...the good news is that the bushings on your weights can be replaced (lot cheaper than replacing the weights), ...the bad news is that your going to have to replace the collars you cut. See attached parts breakdown for proper assembly.

So I shouldn`t have cut the collars`? . Probably not that expensive to purchase, but still, annoying.

I think I will tell my friend to get new collars, rivets for the new weights that I already have bought, plastic washers and new rollers.

If you were suppost to do it "by the book" , I guess the screws & nuts should be replaced, but is it necessary?. (I guess it could be nice to have a new nut since it`s a locking nut.. ).

Should the nuts be tightened to a specific torque?. I don`t think I can reach those nuts with a torque wrench. :Moon:

Gees, I will go nuts if the new rollers wear out as fast as the last ones did..

Should we dig deeper into the primary before installing the new parts?.

Thanks for the link Waterfoul:)

Joakim

Last edited:
Hmm some more questions for snoden700viper:

What do you mean with "cap" ? .

Should the collars be just as long as the moutings on the primary are "wide" , or should they be wider so that the heads of the bolt/nut don`t meat the primary itself?

Cap is the same as the outer cover.

The secondary is much easier to work on then the primary. It should not need much tinkering on besides cleaning and inspection as long as you are happy with the performance. Just having parts within spec helps. Before you take it apart though write down the numbers on the holes that the 2 ends of the spring are in.

If the engine did not engage till 5500 something is amiss. Don't use the worn out weights. Make sure you install the bolts/nuts in the correct direction, nuts follow the bolts in the direction of the spinning. Be sure that you have the proper torque on the retaining bolt.

A properly tuned clutch should not make much noise.

Good luck. Post more pictures.

Back