Yamaha Ovation driven clutch question...

Europe50

Hello,
I purchased a 1990 Yamaha Ovation LE, with electric start for my 9-year-old son. We put the whole set apart, replaced all oil, fuel and vent hosing. Clean the chain case and a bunch of other standard maintenance.
After removing the driven clutch, it is not clear how many degrees I'm supposed to rotate the clutch during installation, depending on which hole the springs mounted in.
What do the holes mean?
And how many degrees do I rotate based on which hole?

See installation instructions...

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/cc331/DMS_1/20201207_212537.jpg?width=450&height=278&fit=bounds&crop=fill
Thanks!
Dean

Attachments

• Yamaha.jpg
    Yamaha.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

If you did not mark the hole the spring seated in? Then you maybe able to see a wear pattern on the hole it was in. Generally the center hole.

50 Degree is the preload on the spring. Set the cam on the spline or key and locate the spring in proper locations. Hold the cam from coming off the spline and rotate the sheave to preload the spring %0 degrees from the relaxed position then compress the cam down far enough to get the washer and snap ring on. You cam make a tool to help with this process of compressing the helix. Good Luck.

Back