SX viper - Electrical Puzzle

hymanykd

I have a 2002 Viper,with about 2900 miles. When I got the sled the when I hit the brake the tach would do the reset same as changing from low to high beam. Figured no problem gotta be the stator, order a OEM, put it on. While I was at it pulled the wiring harness from under the engine couple Outer tape rub spot, re taped and put a piece of loom over it. Start the sled, check everything out and same thing. Odd thing is the heated grips work fine and there is no effect on the lighting on or off. Got annoyed Put all LED bulbs in headlight and tail, works perfect. Checked the wire under the tank for the taillight and it’s fine as well. I’m really at a loss. Anyone have some ideas? Voltage regulator? Checked the idle voltage at the headlight and it’s 13.3.

Thanks in advance...

Couple other things on the voltage. No lights plugged in 14v. Led headlights 13.8v and 9.9v regular bulb. Measured at the regulator. Hand warmers may draw .2V.

Last edited:

Did you check the wires just above the ignition switch where they go over the steering gate?
Have seen them rub through there before.

Yep... went thru it there it too nothing. Did the string pull thing on the main harness under the engine. Couple of spots where the tape was missing check the wires, none rubbed. Re taped and put loom over it.

Was playing around with the electrical today and think I figured it out. Pulled the regulator, checked it over, put it back on the sled with regular bulbs, start it up to check voltages and lights are bright for couple of seconds then they dim again. Thought well that’s interesting, garage is about 72f as it heated, figured what the heck, put the regulator in the freezer for 20min. Put it on the sled fire it up and it works for about 25seconds, then same thing wiggled wires and such while idling and no change. Gotta be the regulator, ordered one from Kimpex, hopefully that will be the end of it. Never thought it would be that as all signs pointed to the stator. In addition my gas meter finally moved with regulator cold.

Was playing around with the electrical today and think I figured it out. Pulled the regulator, checked it over, put it back on the sled with regular bulbs, start it up to check voltages and lights are bright for couple of seconds then they dim again. Thought well that’s interesting, garage is about 72f as it heated, figured what the heck, put the regulator in the freezer for 20min. Put it on the sled fire it up and it works for about 25seconds, then same thing wiggled wires and such while idling and no change. Gotta be the regulator, ordered one from Kimpex, hopefully that will be the end of it. Never thought it would be that as all signs pointed to the stator. In addition my gas meter finally moved with regulator cold.
Resolved?

Back