1997 SX 600 - Carb question (New to me sled)

Gilly637

Hi Guys, picked up a 600 twin SX with 1800miles missing the carbs. I had a set of 96 Vmax flat slides that fit great and actually runs pretty decent with no adjustments yet. I noticed in the parts diagrams the original carb has an electrical connector that's good size. What is it for ? and do I need it or can I just run these carbs that I had? Im sure it making the temp light flash without that connector plugged in?

Hi Guys, picked up a 600 twin SX with 1800miles missing the carbs. I had a set of 96 Vmax flat slides that fit great and actually runs pretty decent with no adjustments yet. I noticed in the parts diagrams the original carb has an electrical connector that's good size. What is it for ? and do I need it or can I just run these carbs that I had? Im sure it making the temp light flash without that connector plugged in?

TPS sensor. The 94-96 600 had a problem with burning down if owners held them at a constant throttle position somewhere between 1/4 - 1/2.

The TPS corrected that problem with a 3-D timing map.

Also note the 96 carbs will be 38mm, while the 96 carbs were 36mm.

Your sled when running should be always flashing a code now that the TPS isn't there.

hey thanks for the info. I wondered if the carb size were different as they fit perfect into the stock air box. I honestly don't know much of anything about carb setups, I know I need to figure how to tune them so I don't ruin my engine. If I'm using a larger bore (38mm) that would suggest more air intake .. so would I need to change the jetting so I'm not leaning out ?

I would put the stock carbs back in. I have the same sled, and it runs pretty good. Just ask if you need some tuning tips. Also, tuning tips are avaiable in the tech section. My sled goes close to 110 on the dream-o-meter.

I dont have the stock carbs, we just bought it with a seized motor no carbs. I had the top end stuff laying around and a set of carbs . It runs awesome just getting too much fuel.. can almost taste it right now its so rich, if it got leaned out a bit it would be perfect but Im unsure how to do that. I looked on ebay for the right carbs, they are pricey and limited.

Unless your a great carb tuner, you will struggle with it forever.
I would spend the money to get the right carbs, then you will know exactly what jets and settings it needs.
Not to mention the throttle position sensor. Computer wont work right without the signal from the TPS I wouldnt think.

If you are interested, I have a set of carbs laying around off a 97 sx 6 twin along with some misc other parts taking up space

I dont have the stock carbs, we just bought it with a seized motor no carbs. I had the top end stuff laying around and a set of carbs . It runs awesome just getting too much fuel.. can almost taste it right now its so rich, if it got leaned out a bit it would be perfect but Im unsure how to do that. I looked on ebay for the right carbs, they are pricey and limited.

Probably best to take up Black Dogs offer on his carbs.

However, If you are going to use the carbs you have, you will need to increase the main the main jet a few sizes as there is less air velocity with the larger bore carbs to pull in the same amount of fuel.
Given that the main nozzles(the long brass tube that the main jet threads into) will be worn substantially, the midrange will be very rich anyway without the worry of a TPS.
The TPS sensor has zero effect on timing at high RPM's so no worry there also.

Note: If you do find a used set of the right carbs, replace the main nozzles(Series 687 Q-6) and fuel economy will be substantially improved.

So i was lucky enough to get the right carbs from Black Dog :) , Im wondering if anyone has a jetting chart ?? Im at about 300ft elevation.

Back