No Start with out of the ordinary conditions...

Getch

2003 Yamaha Viper ER Stock just over 2000 miles. Ran just fine until 3 days ago. Dreaded no spark. I have three questions if anyone has experienced this before.

I downloaded the Yamaha manual for my 03 Viper and I am running down the list of troubleshooting. Im leaning towards stator because it failed ohms test.

Went I went to test continuity at the kill switch it was reversed just like philsviper. Have you seen this and is the manual wrong?

Its electric start and oddly when I release the key switch after turning it over say for 10-15 seconds I see a spark jump across the new NGK plug i'm using to test

Kerry

Can't answer about the kill switch.
'03 Vipers are known to lose the stator, mine failed on my '03 Mnt. Viper around 2000-2500 miles or so. Mine had symptoms beforehand though, the gauge pod would go blank and then reset whenever I hit the brakes or switched between high/low beam.
If the stator fails the ohm test and you have no spark then for sure time to replace it. While the OEM one is pretty spendy they are the way to go. I've read of many issues with knock offs.
If you plan to do it yourself you're going to need a fly-wheel puller. It's also a good idea to get an impact driver and carefully match a bit to the 3 little Phillips head screws, they are freaking tight and will strip if you mess with them with a normal driver or with a tip that don't match them well.

Any update on repair? Mine is doing exact same again. I can get a spark to jump when fooling with kill switch while starting motor is on.

Im no expert on these, or anything electric for that matter, but I thought I remembered reading that a weak battery can also cause this condition ??

Any update on repair? Mine is doing exact same again. I can get a spark to jump when fooling with kill switch while starting motor is on.
Fully charged. I messed With everything last year all the wire harness all the grounds the coils the stator the pick up swap the CDI Box it started sparking on its own.....best i could tell, and it ran great and put it away. but over the summer as it sat and spark went away again.

Back