2003 Viper Stabilizer Bar Question

Polishmafiaboss

VIP Member
I will try to keep this making sense! I have an ‘03 Viper Deep Snow Special (which I think makes it a Mountain Viper??). Only had it short time now and finally got to go run it this past weekend. Noticed it would fly across fields beautifully. Corners and twisty trails thru the woods, not so much. Got back and was comparing it to my SXr600 and noticed the Viper does NOT have the stabilizer bar on it. (Doesn’t look like it’s ever been on it either based on no rust or missing paint on the trailing arms where it would bolt up.)

That leads me to 2 questions:
1) Did they NOT put the stabilizer on the Mountain Viper to make it easier to walk it thru deep snow? (So the chassis would flex a bit more when you’re leaning it around to steer it since the skis don’t really get used much for that kind of riding!)
and
2) Is a pain the add it if it never had one?

All of the parts seem to be available on partzilla and it doesn’t seem to be too expensive (just under $300 for all brand new parts). I’m hoping you don’t have to tear the whole front end apart to add it, as I’d like to have it handle better on trails. I’ll likely do 80% trail, 20% “other”, so good handling would be nice. (The SXr is a little rocket ship in the woods!)
Thanks in advance. (The photo is the parts sheet break down off partzilla and highlighted yellow)

Ray
3541002F-5EC5-455C-A0C1-3C8DE3F543B6.jpeg

I dont know if it came with it from the factory, although I assume it did, but more than likely someone cut it off to make it easier to carve and sidehill. From what i understand, addind one back on is not a simple task.... the motor has to come out and a section of the frame needs to be un riveted.

Well gee.... that may be a off season project if it’s that involved. From what I can see, it never had it. No evidence on chassis or trailing arms. I just can’t find a lot of detailed info on that model. Thanks for the info!

I likely have what you need to add one, let me check tomorrow. It would sure save you some bucks. Maim is right, we take the swaybar off for mountain riding so we can pull them up on edge a lot easier and hold it there which is really critical to mountain riding. A swaybar will fight you on this all the way. The Mtn Viper didn't come with one stock (you can see that in the diagram posted above) 8EK is the shorty and 8EN is the Mtn - the swaybar is listed as Alternate part for the Mtn.

Just let me know if you are interested in used parts. I have taken a few off Vipers when fairly new.

Ding,
I am certainly interested. Used ain’t broke! Let me know what you have. And if you’ve removed them: how involved is putting one back on? I’m going to take ‘em up to my shop Saturday morning and do a few things and peak at that area while I’m at it.
Thanks!

Yes, Mnt. Vipers did not come with a sway bar. (I have an '03 Mnt. Viper).
They also have a narrower ski stance, they are 38.6" width in comparison to a short track that is something like 42". That ski lift is nasty isn't it? Ha-ha.
The 2" paddle doesn't help either, you have to be square out of the corner before tagging the throttle again since it pulls the skis and just goes in a straight line. 2" paddles just won't allow the track to fish tail in a corner to help get through the corner.
Sucking the limiter straps down when you know you're going to be mainly trail riding will help some to keep the skis on the ground, but it will still mainly just want to go in a straight line when you first hit the gas.
I can confidently say that I could run trails faster/harder on my old '93 Exciter than I ever will be able to on my Mnt. Viper, you just can't maintain a ton of speed through the corners on a 2" paddle 144" track.
I think changing the track to something with only about a 1" lug would far and away improve the trail riding performance of it over anything else, it should allow the track to fish tail out with only a 1" lug.
They just aren't made with hard trail riding in mind.

Back