Starter continuity?

boutin73

Having some electrical issues. Right now trying to determine if the starter is bad. When I check continuity from the power stud on the starter to the starter case I get continuity. Does this mean the starter is shorted or is it supposed to have continuity? 98 vmax 700.

from the stud on the starter to the starter case should have continuity through the brushes and the armature as it grounds through where it is bolted to the block. if you had power to that stud all the time, that is a really bad thing.

Yeah that's what I was starting to think. I'm going to put it back in. I'm thinking maybe I should install a grounding strap to the engine block right to the battery. Maybe that will help. I burnt up some ground wires in the harness trying to start the machine.

ouch. why i always look at where the ground cable runs to on a sled to make sure i always have a good one from engine to battery.

What happens is the large ground wire breaks off where it attatches to the engine by the right front engine mount. Then when trying to start the machine the small black ground wires in the harness can't handle the load and get very hot melting the harness, usually on the steering post frame section first.

Well that may just explain it then. Since this sled did not come with estart. There is no ground from the motor to the chassis. I am going to install one. Thanks!

Back