easier way to install drive belt on redhead?!

vdubracer33

anybody have any tricks to make swapping the belt any easier lol. it takes 2 people because the belt keeps pinching in the same spot so while I am reefing the clutch by hand he is trying to straighten out the belt where it kinks. driving me nuts.. Im like what happens if I am by myself and belt blows

Lock the brake. Grab the helix and push in toward the center of the sled while turning it clockwise. The moveable sheave will move away from the stationary sheave giving you slack. Lift the belt over the stationary sheave.

Good luck.

going on, i usually use the belt to wedge the secondary open while i move it into place on the bottom.

Just like weatherman says. These belts are super-easy to change. 15 seconds is about all it takes, no tools needed.

For me and my VT600 Red Head triple:
- I lock the brake handle.
- Take 12 mm box end wrench and put on outer bolt head of 2nd clutch.
- I then try to tighten the bolt by turning the wrench `clock wise` - using my left hand.
- No worries, the bolt doesn't tighten anymore. Instead, it twists and turns the inner disc of second clutch.
- I then use my free right hand to remove the old belt.
- To install new belt, I do the above in reverse order.

If wondering, I seen this "weak hands / weak arms" trick on U-Tube video clip. Works great for me as well.

re:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZRN24X06qg

Last edited:
Another belt replacement tip/trick to share...

When possible, replace worn out belt when its warm/hot. A warm belt tends to be much more flexible to work with. And, keeps the bare hands warmer during deep cold time. For new belt, pre-store in the warm temp house (not in freezing cold garage - ouch!) before installing as well. Thus, ensuring its warm / flexible as well.

And when doing rides away from shop tools, always remember to bring a sharp utility knife in sled's tool box as well. A few times, I seen a belt blow and wrap itself around the clutches. Their strings (ouch!) needed to be cut out with a sharp / strong knife - before above video trick can be used to install the new belt.

Hope this helps as well....

Last edited:

Back