Sparkplug coil windings

fourbarrel

VIP Lifetime Member
Well I believe I may have found the problem that's plagued my SRX for the last handful of years. It's had this odd high rpm stutter/stumble and I just couldn't trace it down,or at least the things I figured was causing it wasn't the problem. I clean the carbs every fall,powervalves every fall and through the winter depending on mileage,changed clutching components, even switched to a known good set,but couldn't find the issue. I kept thinking it was mechanical because it didn't sound like lack of fuel or fire. I decided a week ago to tear into the electrical and test all of it. Started at the mag,its fine,then to the ground,also fine, the coils,mag side both primary and secondary windings are good,centre the same then onto PTO side. Primary winding tested good but my secondary one was open. I can't quite fathom how this sled fired on all 3 cylinders with one bad coil winding going to the plug. It would run like a champ to about 65-7000 then bog/stutter. It just acted like the clutch was binding which is why I never tested the coils before now,well that and the fact I get sidetracked easily. So now I'm waiting for a coil so I can test my theory and finally put this problem to bed. And for those wondering about what I used to test the windings,it's a Fluke 87V multimeter and testing components is not foreign to me.
Has anyone else experienced a similar scenario?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Back