97 sx600 clutching

Dirtyredvmax

I've got a 97 sx600 with twin psi pipes. Looking for some clutch combos for trail riding, particularly in the primary for now, that have worked for some of you. Sled has had clutch work done to it but it's been a long time and don't know exactly what has been done. I've noticed the rollers were worn this season so I replaced those and found out the weights had a groove between the two rivets so I am looking into replacing those as well. The current set up that I took off had 8ab weights with rivets in each hole. I'm having a hard time figuring out which rivets are in there. I was running around 8400 RPMs with the worn out rollers and weights (before I noticed they were worn) and from what I understand this needs to be bumped down. Primary spring looks to be y-s-y and the secondary spring is black, I think stock, not sure what position the secondary is in or the helix. Any starting points or help would be great. Thanks

How much cash do you have to spend? I did a "no expense spared" clutching on my 97 sx 600, and you would swear it has a bigger motor in it.

I'm in college now so not too much, but it's my dad's sled that he bought brand new, did all the mods to it in 99 and couldn't find his notes when I started digging into it. I pretty much took over as I get a lot more snow at my school in the UP of Michigan but he will eat the costs.

Last edited:
Maybe the most important part would be to know exactly what RPM the pipes make their peak power. From that point, its not too difficult to make the clutching work.
8AB or 8CR weights works well for a twin IMO. Would be great if you could find a setup sheet for the PSI pipes.

under load for sure

FYI, those are the pinnacle of pipes for a twin. They make a ton of power over the AAEN pipes..

Back