Trailing arm pivot bolt plate strengthening

Tod

VIP Member
I need to fix a loose trailing arm pivot plate or what ever you call it right under the foot board area. I did the one side a few years back with steel yamaha rivits but this side is egged out and really loose.

Can someone that has added allen bolts post a pic and size of the hardware you used.

I know Maxximum or someone makes a kit for this but i think I would rather use allen bolts for more floor board traction anyway.

how did you fix yours????

Tod

i used a 5/16 button head allen bolt with lock washers, locktight and peened the threads after the nut. held without problem with over 1500 hard miles

I used the Bender Racing reinforcement kit, $60, well worth it in my book, it uses the hex bolts. I don't think the part is listed on their site, just send a note from their site and they will get back with you. It took about 4 days to get, install takes a couple hrs. if you are slow like me.

Vmax Al

Thanks Paul

Thanks Paul,
what is it that you have?? A stock plate or ???

Mine is still stock but is so loose that I was worried about it during our muni ride, but after hearing you talk about running 95 + with only one rivit holding yours on after hugging those trees I guess I really had nothing to worry about. I did re rivit my other side a couple of years ago with the yamaha rivits and an air riviter but now the othe side has been loose all season and has egged out the holes.

Tod

On my last ride I had some time to watch both sides (we had a sled running on 1 cylinder and could only make 29mph WFO) what seems tight enough sitting on the trailer really wiggles a bunch while in motion.

Looks like I'll be emailing Bender before summer.

i had the same problem on my '97, but with the '01 they have the bigger rivets in there and they are all like new.

just drill out the holes and use regular hex bolts with flat washers and locknuts

Tod, there stock. I just thought if your holes a way egged, i can send you one. Paul

On my '97 i just drilled the holes out bigger, used hex bolts, washers, and lock nuts. Held up perfect, looked good too

Tom

If I had your cash flow I would order Two of them One for me and ond for you. But thats just how nice I am.............. LOL

Glad to see ya on here more.

Tod

I'll tell ya what works well, is 1/4 x one inch long, stainless stell panheads w/ locknuts, washers etc.... I just drilled out the five in each side( not the ones that are hidden..to much work and not really necessary) and put the bolts in!6000 mi. later ...very tite! Its cheap and yet very strong fix.

Bender kit

The Bender kit is the way to go but if you dont want to spend the cash or the time, just get the 1/4 rivets from your Yamaha dealer. If your sled is that 97 in you avitar then your sled has 3/16 rivets in that plate. They changed to 1/4 in 98 on all models I believe. Even if your holes are egged out a 1/4 drill bit and new 1/4 rivets should slove the problem.

Madmatt

Back