Resting Proaction suspension question

befarrer

I have a 99 Vmax SX 600 with the ProAction suspension and KYB shocks all around. At rest, the back of my track is about 2" off the ground, leaving all of the weight on the front of the track, is this normal? I just got this sled and I have not touched the settings, but I did replace the rails and hyfax.

looking like too much pre load on centre shock. i set that one how mrsled showed me so that it is snug to turn the spring on the shock with track off of ground.

One thing I have noticed looking online at adjustments, they say Set rear clicker to about number 5 from soft. All 4 shocks on my sled have threaded adjusters, including the large rear shock, is this stock? The threaded range on that shock is over 4". I also have the blue quick adjust transfer rods, which I know are not stock.

I played around, initially set the front shock way too loose, set it down, the front shock spring was still loose and it sat like above, even after sitting on it. I loosened of my track tension 8 turns each, so it was too loose, and it settled down. I then adjusted the limiters all the way loose, lifted the sled up, tightened the front shock spring adjuster so it has light tension when fully extended. Adjusted limiters to be tight with suspension fully dropped, now it sits better, I tightened up the track tension 4 turns. It is much looser than before, I have 1-5/8" droop at no load between sliders and track, but I noticed the tension between the rear wheels where it goes up under the tunnel is loose when the track is off the ground, but goes tight with weight on the suspension, and even tighter with me on it. Reaction rods have a gap on both sides with me on it. So I think my issue was the track too tight, I had it set to factory specs last year by measuring gap with weight, but maybe the extension makes it too tight with weight, pulling the rear wheels forward, pushing the w arm down. Here is it now, and my track droop, I just estimated it for now, will have to check for ratcheting when I ride, no studs on the track.

Attachments

• PXL_20211111_172032197.jpg
    PXL_20211111_172032197.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20211111_172140411.jpg
    PXL_20211111_172140411.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
I played around, initially set the front shock way too loose, set it down, the front shock spring was still loose and it sat like above, even after sitting on it. I loosened of my track tension 8 turns each, so it was too loose, and it settled down. I then adjusted the limiters all the way loose, lifted the sled up, tightened the front shock spring adjuster so it has light tension when fully extended. Adjusted limiters to be tight with suspension fully dropped, now it sits better, I tightened up the track tension 4 turns. It is much looser than before, I have 1-5/8" droop at no load between sliders and track, but I noticed the tension between the rear wheels where it goes up under the tunnel is loose when the track is off the ground, but goes tight with weight on the suspension, and even tighter with me on it. Reaction rods have a gap on both sides with me on it. So I think my issue was the track too tight, I had it set to factory specs last year by measuring gap with weight, but maybe the extension makes it too tight with weight, pulling the rear wheels forward, pushing the w arm down. Here is it now, and my track droop, I just estimated it for now, will have to check for ratcheting when I ride, no studs on the track.

Looks perfect!

I'm confused by your 3 responses. Are you saying it looks perfect now? And the first 2 were replies to my original posts?

With your track that loose I would think the track will ratchet on the front drivers unless you have extroverts. I like to set my track tension, on these sleds, so when the back of the sled is on a stand and the track is off the ground the top of the lowest hanging drive lug is even with the bottom of the sliders.
JM.02c

Took the sled out yesterday, was only a few inches of snow in the field, I don't think I got any ratcheting, twice I noticed I didn't get much acceleration and could hear a sort of growling, but that lasted a few seconds, then it was fine, was shooting snow and dirt out the back. I think I got a bit of snow on the belt, and slipped on secondary. it was right at freezing, and my skis were kicking up alot of snow on the hood.

Back