2001 Venture 600 setup

Brdmh44

Hi all,

Just dug through old posts, but didn't find anything relevant..

My friend picked up a 2001 Venture 600.

He weight around 250lb geared up and rides moderate to aggressive. He chose the venture to have a backrest and the 136" track.

Yesterday we cleaned the carbs, checked the boots, checked the reeds, cleaned and adjusted chain case, new plugs, cleaned and painted exhaust, dropped the skid and ordered new bushings. Pulled clutches to clean and adjust

This sled has throw away rear shocks that were shot.

My questions:

1. Does the venture have a different rear spring than an SXR?
2. Is there a particular setting preload wise for his weight?
3. The carbs are currently cleaned and set to stock. Are there any recommended jetting changes? We are at 1800 FT.
4. Is there a recommended clutch set up? Spring or helix upgrade?

While in the chain case I verified the gearing was stock.

Thank you,

yes the venture has a heavier rear shock spring vs a sxr. you can put sxr shocks and springs onto that sled. as he is solo riding it, it should be fine with sxr rear spring.

i would set it how i set my dads 05 sx venture that i put a set of olins from a sx viper. it still occasionally carries 2 up on some rides. i just adj the fra to hard at that time. i set it with a rider my/his size sitting alone on the 2 up area of the seat. set fra to middle and then adjust the spring tension on the rear main shock until you get a 40/60 gap on the transfer rods. i also have the front skid shock spring set so that it is stiff to turn by hand. does the job well.

clutching is a personal preference. is it a twin or tripple 600? if it is a tripple, anything for a sx600r or vmax tripple from the user spec sheets will work. ventures are clutch soft from factory for comfort.

Maim,

Thank you for your help!

I figured they had a stiffer shock spring as Yamaha didn't offer an optional spring per their microfiche. Thank you for confirming that.

It is a 600 tripple. I will swap springs over to the recommended units along with helix.

Thank you,

need to check that the weights are the same as the set up you are aiming for as well.

on my dads, the clutching was so mushy that it would not carry the skis off of a roller when you punched the throttle or destroyed the belt when pulling an empty sleigh. we cloned a set up turk gave my brother for his 02 viper as dads venture is a venture with the viper engine. pulls great now with no belt burning issues.

Maim,

Good point about the weights.

His last sled was an RS Vector GT carb model. He decided to get back in and figured the lazy stock clutching would be a bore with stock touring setup.

Seeing that this sled will never be ridden two up, I will go ahead with a good SX 600 clutch set up and see how it acts.

Back