Lots of rotation play on secondary clutch

crunchie

Hi, tks for having me. Recently bought a 1999 Venture 500 l/c. The secondary clutch has a fair amount of play in it, I don't mean pulling on it, I mean when rotating it, I can easily turn it about 1.5 inches to 2 inches one way then the other. I thought it was perhaps the chain was loose so I backed off on the lock nut for the adjustment and turned the bolt till hand tight, then tightened the lock nut. Didn't do anything. Maybe the reverse option has something to do with this, this is my first sled with reverse. When applying throttle, there's a good jerk as the secondary clutch engages as there's too much slack, my take anyway. Any ideas anyone? tia

thats pretty normal to have a lot of rotational slop or when you shift into reverse it wont mesh. As far as chain tension, should be finger tight and then a 1/4 turn back.

Ok Tks, I’ll stop trying to figure it out, it’s just that it does give a clunk when starting from stop (till the secondary catches up to the primary). I’ll live with it I guess.

easiest way to avid the clunk is to let off of the brake about 5' or less before you stop. all my sleds clunk if i use the brake to stop them hard when i accelerate afterwards.

I'm guessing this takes the slack off the secondary and keeps the clutches closer in sync? So to speak.

If its coming from where the drive cogs meet the track, not much you can do about it. Another possibility, though not very likely, is too much chain slop in the chaincase. You can rule that out by seeing if the secondary and track cogs spin exactly the same or if there's a little slop (look inside the track area up by the drive cog as you rotate the secondary).

Yes chain slop is what made my MM 700 seem like it ratchet, even though it had antiratchet drivers.

Back