1978 Enticer

moday

I have a 78 Enticer that has started great for years and will no longer....I want to get the carb off and clean it up. I noticed the carb mounting nut was loose on one side. I don't know if sucking air but the belly pan is filled with 2 stroke goop (like black tar) so I question if I have a bad seal.

Not sure how far to take this down and what parts are available?

Can I rebuild a Keinen carb? I'm not sure if I have bigger problems. I could have good compression but still a gasket or seal leak on lower end...seemed to run strong but was a bit difficult to start. Once warm, it would start great. WOuld start a day later but would need ether a week later.

Any ideas where to start? It's old, but seems to have life left...thanks, moday

welcome!

been awhile since i messed with those keinen carbs. what displacement is it? there have been a few members that converted them to mikuni carb and pump for easier tuneability.

the slobber could be coming from the oil pump but even a good running one with accumulate that crud over time. cleaned every one we owned out at some point when i had engine out to repair either it or something on the chassis underneath it.

i would tighten that loose nut and spray ether around there to see if it is sucking air there and around the crank seals. need to know witch model to get more specific than that. i did have one that someone put the gasket in the wrong place for the carb mount and it was sucking wind there.

I have a 78 Enticer that has started great for years and will no longer....I want to get the carb off and clean it up. I noticed the carb mounting nut was loose on one side. I don't know if sucking air but the belly pan is filled with 2 stroke goop (like black tar) so I question if I have a bad seal.

Not sure how far to take this down and what parts are available?

Can I rebuild a Keinen carb? I'm not sure if I have bigger problems. I could have good compression but still a gasket or seal leak on lower end...seemed to run strong but was a bit difficult to start. Once warm, it would start great. WOuld start a day later but would need ether a week later.

Any ideas where to start? It's old, but seems to have life left...thanks, moday
Sometimes something as simple as an inline boat-type fuel system primer will fix this. After it sits for a while, just give it a few squeezes.

This is a 292CC model.....it's missing an air box and the carb has a linkage of some sort hanging down on the clutch side of engine. I thought something broke at first but it appears that the other end of the linkage has no where to attach so I'm thinking it was part of the air box. I did some research and this model has 3 levers...choke, compression relief and a third lever with I think is some kind of enrichment lever as it looks like it delivers fuel but that lever won't move.....It's on the top right of the console when sitting on the sled but the device is mounted down near the oil reservoir. I read that this was a canadian model and the US models had only a choke. I will check for the oil pump as the source of gunk as the belly pan is a mess...seems worse on the clutch side so I'm thinking output seal but maybe it is the oil pump. I'm not sure where that is located yet....Anyone have a picture of 292 engine set up? I'd like to see what this carb linkage is that is unidentified. I can add a photo later tool. thanks in advance, moday

the oil pump is down behind the primary clutch on pretty much all the yamaha 2 strokes i have seen to date.

that sounds like an et250 from that era. yes there where 3 choke lever toggels on those sleds. one was choke/enritchment, the other one on the dash was the decompressor witch was never used as they started well without it. the one up by the cab on the right side was the fuel shut off valve.

if it is an et 250, you are probably going to have to mix the gas now as it sounds like you have lost part of the linkage to the oil pump. dad lost the linkage on the one he had and scuffed the piston on it back in the early 80's. found the linkage in the belly pan later but damage had already been done. i blew the piston around 86 when i started riding it as a kid.

might need to see some pics of engine bay as you could have a franken sled where someone stuffed in a 292 into a 250 chassis. the 300 twins are 294cc according to attached link

I'm hoping that I can add a picture to this thread...the linkage is in my hand here on the clutch side of the sled. I see the oil pump behind it now and it's a mess with oily "goo" so I think that the pump is probably the source of my sludge in the belly pan.

Any idea if the linkage is to go to the air box which is not present on this machine (never had one). I'm not sure why you'd have an addl linkage unless there was some kind of butterfly choke at one time but I think it's only an enrichment choke. I got the carb snugged on but I don't really want to try starting it if this linkage has something to do with supplying oil for fuel mix. Looks like I see a small hose (real small diameter and short in length) which goes from the oil pump to the carb. It's kind of a sludged up mess.

Looks forward to your respsonse/responses. thanks, Moday

Attachments

• carb snip.JPG
    carb snip.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 4
i have never seen a yamaha sled yet that had anything in the air box that was controlled by a linkage.

usually on a yamaha, the linkages i have seen on that side of the carb on the old sleds went to an arm on the oil pump.

on some of the old sleds, the oil was injected into a jet in the carb boot instead of being mixed in the fuel pump like more modern 2 stroke sleds.

i will try to look at the 78 et340ec i have at home to see if it has that linkage.

I found a picture online of an injection pump for this sled and you could buy it with the linkage attached. Now I have to either pull the engine to try and re-attach as there is no way I can work on it in the sled or my other option is to see if I can run the engine with mixed fuel.

I'm assuming the I'm still getting some oil, but not the extra from this linkage to the throttle. Does that make sense? Is there a way to shut off the oil pump but also not pump oil at all? Do I need to plug something on the pump?

I'm not sure of my best option at this point but I think I see something came loose on the top of the injection pump which may explain how this started to come apart.

thanks, MO

Hi Guys,
I have three (3) 340 enticer motors but I don't know what year they are. How do I find out what year they were built?
1. 80X-000980
2. E338-003736
3. E338-123500
Thank you for any help
Jeff

I found a picture online of an injection pump for this sled and you could buy it with the linkage attached. Now I have to either pull the engine to try and re-attach as there is no way I can work on it in the sled or my other option is to see if I can run the engine with mixed fuel.

I'm assuming the I'm still getting some oil, but not the extra from this linkage to the throttle. Does that make sense? Is there a way to shut off the oil pump but also not pump oil at all? Do I need to plug something on the pump?

I'm not sure of my best option at this point but I think I see something came loose on the top of the injection pump which may explain how this started to come apart.

thanks, MO
If the machine is light blue & I think silver it should be a 300cc motor

it is still pumping oil moday. with out the linkage it does not add more oil as rpm's increase. you can run it like that but you would need to mix the gas in the tank to about 100:1 for it to stay safe.

never eliminated a pump before but i know the guys that raced did and probably know what to do better than i do.

It sounds like it should be ok to see if the sled will start.....without the oil pump linkage in place. My concern goes back to how last year ended...sled would not start and I observed this linkage hanging next to the carb. I'm hoping that no damage occurred to the engine if ran with low/limited oil supply. I'm very happy that we now have a purpose for the linkage and I can see where it used to join the oil pump but I doubt that I can hook it back up without pulling the engine. It seems like the bracket on top of the oil pump has a bolt going through it and I wonder if it's loose as the bracket seems to be loose. Does anyone know the orientation of how this linkage hooks up? It's very difficult to access and may be even harder to see for a picture. I'm not sure if the linkage from the carb connects to the front, clutch or oil reservoir side of the sled. I'm hoping to find someone that has a 250CC enticer that can maybe show me a picture?

thanks, moday

Back