METER GEAR HOUSING COMP. and Joint.

Drwe

Can anybody show me some pictures of what this is supposed to look like? I took off the driveshaft to do a track change and found that the joint part is sheared. It looks like Item 24 "meter gear housing comp" is also toast. I drilled out the joint from the driveshaft (snapping the end of my drill bit in the drive shaft "connector" part leaving 3/4" of hole depth to the drill bit.

My question is what shape is the hole in the connector in the drive shaft supposed to be, it was round before I started drilling anything. Can I just get a new meter gear housing and joint pin or is my driveshaft screwed? Has anybody removed the "connector from the driveshaft before what is involved? Would 3/4" of depth be enough if I cut the new joint 1/4" or whatever it needs to be shorter than standard?

Thanks.
1639970717688.png
1639970815031.pngr

Its suppose to be a square hole for the speedo key! The item 24 looks just like the image. If you messed up the square hole for that key (25) it will not work and you will need to replace the insert item 2 or the drive shaft with a used one.

Somebody did that to my sled before I bought it. I tapped the hole and used washers large enough to fit over the connector, then tightened up the bolt. Took a couple times adding more washers but it came out. Then just drive the new one back in.

I ended up getting a used driveshaft for almost nothing so I'll use it but I probably will replace the connector on the old one and sell it or keep it for backup idk.

Track was being replaced, so not a huge deal, just another thing to think about. Got a used meter gear housing with joint pin and a new drive shaft with a good connector. Sometime I'll drill, tap and pull out the old connector from the old drive shaft. To replace the connector you have to pull the drive shaft anyway.

Back