Jackshaft clutch side bearing position.

Drwe

I've pulled the clutch side bearing off the jackshaft but I'm wondering how far to press the new one on to? What sets this distance since there is no shoulder?

I've pulled the clutch side bearing off the jackshaft but I'm wondering how far to press the new one on to? What sets this distance since there is no shoulder?
If you are talking about a 1998 model, it isn't a press fit. There are set screws.

Here is how I have always installed and positioned the jackshaft bearing on a Pro Action chassis Yamaha:
-only the chain case side of the jackshaft has a shoulder
-position the jack shaft in position and in to chaincase
-install the top gear in the chain case with all the gears, spacers ect in place
-tighten down the top gear nut
-the jackshaft should now be seated in the chain case top bearing
-install the new clutch side bearing and tighten down the bearing collar to position the bearing
-tighten the jack shaft bearing set screws

Yeah I think that's what I'll try first reassembling the chaincase side. The old bearing was rusted heavily to the shaft and needed a lot of pulling force to come off, I doubt the new one will be very loose going on so I'll see how it goes. Now I'm just hoping I can get the chaincase back together correctly with all the spacers etc in the right spot.

Use emery paper or something like it to remove any rust and/or burrs from where the bearing goes. It should slide right on.

I have always went to one of the sites that sells yamaha parts, and used the parts diagram to double check what goes where.

Back