Oil Pump

Drwe

When I purchased my 98 vmax 700, in early December, it was running (idling) well but with very blue smoke. I haven't run it since then. I never thought to check the gas tank but I did today and found a very low tank with dark blue fuel, obviously premixed at a high ratio.

The Oil tank on the sled is topped up, but I want to know how I can verify that it is getting oil to the cylinders the normal way, before I top off the tank with fresh gas.

What would you do? I'm not that familiar with how these oil systems work and I would generally prefer not to have to remove the carbs if possible.
I don't even know which lines are the oil lines and where they run to on the engine.

Is there any ECU protection against running with a malfunctioning or air locked oil pump? Would I get an indicator light?

Thanks.

Last edited:

I see what I believe is the bleeder screw, and I can see the lever move with the throttle, would it be enough to crack it open, pull the spark plugs and crank it with e-start until it is blead (no air bubbles) (can I do this without pulling the carbs by stuffing rags around the bleeder screw)? Or would you want to know that oil is getting to the engine downstream of the pump also?

The manual seems to show just one inlet and one outlet on the oil pump, I assume the inlet comes down straight from the reservoir, where does the oil go from the pump?

it goes to the fuel pump where it gets mixed in with the gas. i would just top off both tanks and run it. if the oil tank drops aproximately 1l after 2 tanks of gas, the oil pump is working. i would mix the gas 100 to 1 for saftey until you can confirm the oil pump is working properly. if it goes down faster, then the oil pump has failed as yamaha oil pumps are designed to go wide open and over oil when that happens.

it goes to the fuel pump where it gets mixed in with the gas. i would just top off both tanks and run it. if the oil tank drops aproximately 1l after 2 tanks of gas, the oil pump is working. i would mix the gas 100 to 1 for saftey until you can confirm the oil pump is working properly. if it goes down faster, then the oil pump has failed as yamaha oil pumps are designed to go wide open and over oil when that happens.
Thanks, I found the line going to the fuel pump I wasn't sure if there was anything going to the engine for the bearings or something.

Interesting about wide open. I'll do what you say because it seems the easiest idea. It shouldn't be possible for oil to backfired into the gas tank should it?

I'm going to suck out the old fuel because I don't like the way it looks.

some times there are lines under the motor to feed the main bearings as well as the pump.

never seen the oil go back into the fuel tank. usually when there is oil in the fuel tank, it was added by the po.

burn that old gas in your truck or car. it won't care if there is oil in it.

Back