2002 yamaha sx viper 700 burble

Bigyamaha87

So...i finally got the viper back to get and going. Runs great...except it burbles when just crusing from 1/8 to about 1/4 throttle. Fuel screws at 1-7/8 which is factory spec? Any ideas why it would burble? Maybe go 1-1/2 ?

Does it idle smoothly and pick up from idle with no issues without the choke on? And comes back down to idle rpm without any hanging rpm?
Need to determine if it is from being too lean or too rich.

Yes idles smooth...just tried fuel screws at 1.5 idle did hang then, still had that burbly sound just off idle at 1.5 turns out. Back em out to 2 turns again

Just noticed my manifold is cracked in 4 spots at y. That wouldnt cause it to burble would it? With air being sucked in?

not in my experiance.

dad has the 05 sx venture with the same engine. it always burbles/gargles/loads up when it is ridden slowly. when i hear it gargling, the next straight or lake i open it up and get it cleared out.

How many miles are on it? Is it hard on fuel?
Little over 5000 miles. Have not gotten to ride it to much so far...not sure yet on fuel consumption. But what little i did ride midrange was annoying with a burble.

Little over 5000 miles. Have not gotten to ride it to much so far...not sure yet on fuel consumption. But what little i did ride midrange was annoying with a burble.
The first thing I would do is change out the main nozzles. Contrary to what most think, this is a wearing part and need to be replaced with age and miles. Number 25 in picture.

I was just reading other posts about main nozzle wear. This was going to be my next step. Thank you!

first thing to do is get the manifold off and weld it top and bottom or your going to burn the engine down, it will be cracked both top and bottom!

first thing to do is get the manifold off and weld it top and bottom or your going to burn the engine down, it will be cracked both top and bottom!
Already done....the sled seems like it uses a lot of oil. Oil pump failure? Causing it to run rich? Oil cable is set at 20mm.

Already done....the sled seems like it uses a lot of oil. Oil pump failure? Causing it to run rich? Oil cable is set at 20mm.
check how much oil it uses on a ride. mark the bottle with a sharpie marker and recored how many miles you go. then using a ratio rite cup or other unit of measure record how much oil you put back in to bring up to sharpie mark on bottle. When the pumps go bad they do go full rich but I have not seen alot of bad yamaha injection pumps. Does the sled have a bar riser on it??

check how much oil it uses on a ride. mark the bottle with a sharpie marker and recored how many miles you go. then using a ratio rite cup or other unit of measure record how much oil you put back in to bring up to sharpie mark on bottle. When the pumps go bad they do go full rich but I have not seen alot of bad yamaha injection pumps. Does the sled have a bar riser on it??
Ok will do. No no bar riser. I put 130 miles on it tank was full it is now halfway point

Ok will do. No no bar riser. I put 130 miles on it tank was full it is now halfway point
ya..wow, if you used half a tank of oil in 130 miles, your full on rich! which makes the sled run leaner on air/fuel ratio. I would definitly look into the pump replacement if your sure the cable is adjusted correctly and the cable is fit back into sleeve. At least theres less mosquitos around...lol

ya..wow, if you used half a tank of oil in 130 miles, your full on rich! which makes the sled run leaner on air/fuel ratio. I would definitly look into the pump replacement if your sure the cable is adjusted correctly and the cable is fit back into sleeve. At least theres less mosquitos around...lol
Yes cable is in the sleeve.. adjustment at 20mm

Back