97 vmax. WOT misfire/bog. Electrical issue?

Dirtyredvmax

I've got a 97 vmax 600 twin that will cut out and pop a little after a 7ish second wot pull. Idles and runs great in all other rpm ranges except when going over 7k for a few seconds. It seems to do it only when the engine is fully warmed up after riding a few miles down the trail. After it bogs it drops down to 6k and I can run with no issues all day but when I smash the throttle again, it'll hit peak rpm then bog after a few seconds of wot. Does great from smashing the throttle from being stopped and stop sign to stop sign. I am leaning toward an electrical issue as I've checked the plugs many times and they are right where I want them. Carbs were cleaned at the beginning of the season, clutch springs and weights are brand new this season as well as reed valves, fuel lines and in-tank filter. Good compression and oil pump is in adjustment. I've hosed down everywhere to try to find any air leaks to not find any idle changes and I've flipped the choke lever when the issue has came about. I've tested the stator as that is what I was thinking the problem is, source coil is reading 227 ohms and the pickup coil is reading 192 ohms, both these readings are on the low end of the spec but readings were taken outside when it's 20 degrees out. Currently looking for any rub-throughs on the wiring harness but haven't found any. Does anyone know where the grounds are on these sleds? I was also thinking about digging into it and cleaning the flywheel as it's probably a little rusty. Any other suggestions are appreciated before I start throwing new parts at this. Thanks

Last edited:

Sounds like it loses a cylinder when it cuts out. Then when I drop rpms it starts firing so I’m thinking the spark just can’t keep up. Clutch sheaves are clean. Fairly new belt. New clutch springs and weights.

Replaced ignition, got a used stator and cleaned up flywheel. Tried it out today and the problem is even worse now... Really scratching my head at this. It ran great today but as the sled warmed up even more it progressively got worse to where i could barely limp along over 20mph

sounding like you might have a weal fuel pump or a hole in the pulse line. if you rplace the pulse line, make sure you use a braided pressure fuel line as normal sled plastic line collapses under vac.

Just got back from the dealer and they couldn't get it 100% figured out, still cuts out at WOT on a long pull. I noticed about a 1 inch air bubble where the fuel line comes from the tank over the airbox to the fuel pump. Thinking that could be my issue but can't locate where the air is coming from, haven't seen any leaks.

usually the air bubble will come out through the carb vent. have had bubble for years on my et and it goes away at idle. might be time for a new suction line from the pump to the filter in the tank.

Back