SRX lower end with Viper top end

Polishmafiaboss

VIP Member
Hey all. Looking for a bit of info / confirmation for this.

I have a ‘02 Viper Mountain. Roasted mag side cylinder/rod bearing/crank and casing. Finding a good used complete Viper engine is proving a bit difficult.

Thru research on here, I am understanding you could use a SRX bottom with all the Viper upper items.

My questions:
1) is this fact? (The SRX engine is from a ‘01). It is an 8DN engine.
2) I plan to re-use the 2 good cylinders. Is the bore suppose to be 69mm even? I want to check them before re-using.
3) Is there piston / ring manufacturers to avoid?

While rebuilding this sled, I plan to rebuild/replace the oil pump (not 100% sure it did not play a part in the meltdown), rebuild the water pump. Carbs and other normal maintenance items will be looked at along with a full skid check/rebuild.

Thanks for any info anyone can provide!
Ray

Yes...the 2000 and up SRX bottom end will work with your Viper top end. You can also use the the 2001 SRX flywheel and stator in the Viper.
Stick with OEM Yamaha pistons and rings if you can.

Yes...the 2000 and up SRX bottom end will work with your Viper top end. You can also use the the 2001 SRX flywheel and stator in the Viper.
Stick with OEM Yamaha pistons and rings if you can.
Thank you! I hoped that was the case.

I figured OEM was best option, but asked about other in case I can’t (affordably) get OEM.

we used spi when we re did my brothers viper from his toasting centre rod.

he scored a srx motor that someone had put on viper jugs with srx head. ran well for the 2 seasons it took him to get the parts to get his motor back together.

sled is still running around today.

Back