Reverse from 1998 Vmax 600 XTC into 2003 Viper Mountain

3oh6

I recently acquired an electric start and reverse from the above sled, will do installation at end of season. I have a question regarding the reverse chain case internals, according to the Viper's service manual the gearing is 21 teeth drive sprocket{top} and 40 teeth driven{bottom} and a 70 link chain. I would like to stay with this type of gear ratio but a little more top end for this flatlander is okay since I won't be doing any mountain riding. The Vmax donor gears are 20 top and 39 bottom and I believe reverse gear is 18 teeth, the chain is either a 68{94860-02068-00} or 70{94860-02070-00} I believe that it is 70 link...haven't counted.
I realize now that the Vmax uses non-HYVO gears and chain and the Viper does....will this be a issue? I would prefer for cost reasons to re-use all the Vmax parts if possible. If I need/recommended to stick with the Viper's original HYVO chain case internals what would I need to order to do so eg: reverse gear{ Gear, Reverse Pinion 1 (18T)8CW-W1714-00-00 }, reverse wheel{ Gear, Reverse Wheel 1 (50T)8CW-17243-00-00}, different length 68 link HYVO chain etc? Thanks in advance for your help.

i would just use all the vmax stuff as the ratio ends up almost same as the viper (within .05 for gear ratio) if cost is a consideration. just remeber if you pop a chain later that you need to look for the vmax stuff.

Thanks for the help Maim, how exactly is the final gear ratio figured out, the formula ? Also would it be wise to perhaps invest in a new chain?

The HYVO chain is without a doubt much stronger. I remember putting non-HYVO reverse kits on the 98-99 SRX's and the result was broken chains.
However, the Viper is 20HP less, so my advice would be to use a new chain and be careful.
Another piece of advice is that chain life is less when using smaller diameter top sprockets. For example, a 21 tooth top sprocket shortens the life of the chain compared to a 23. It's just harder on them when you try to wrap them around a smaller sprocket. It wears the pins, holes, and teeth faster.

ratio is bottom gear divided by top gear ie: 40/21=1.90
39/20=1.95

when we did my brothers 02 viper back in the day, i had scored a chain case out of er viper or newer venture and the member that sold it to me had the deeper gears in it as it was for a mod project back then that i did not do. the lower gear was one tooth larger than the stock gear, so he ended up with 41/21 in it. it ran great.

Back