Just cleaned carbs, bogs off the line, flip choke half on and it revs/scoots great.

ADDvanced

So.... alright, not really sure of the issue here.

Just rebuilt the carbs. All new jets, new fuel lines, new fuel filter, checked fuel pump, etc.

Starts instantly. Idles fine.

Go to hit the gas, and it bogs/won't rev. Flick the choke half on, flick it back off, and it revs and RIPS boys. Thing scoots!

I have the mixture screws set to 1.5 turns out from seated, and adjusted the idle speed to 1600rpm, then tweaked the screws but unscrewing them did not raise the RPM at all, screwing them in caused the RPM to drop. I'm thinking if I just richen the mixture it should work better? Help?

Sorry, my bad. Phazer 2, 1990s. Pilots are 95, brand new, there is no needle in these carbs.

Yeah I have a rear stand.... I set the idle to 1600, and played with the mixture screws but I could not get the RPM to go up at all from the "factory 1.5 turn out" setting.

I don't get it. The only thing I can think of is that microscopic hole in the main jet tube that goes over to the pilot jet tube, it was so tiny I could not clean it with any of my carb cleaning wires. I soaked the carbs but there's no way to blow out that super tiny hole specifically... and if it were slightly clogged, it could be running lean at idle, and then when I give it gas... it runs out, like, maybe there is not enough fuel to get it up to the high speed areas?

Yeah I have a rear stand.... I set the idle to 1600, and played with the mixture screws but I could not get the RPM to go up at all from the "factory 1.5 turn out" setting.

I don't get it. The only thing I can think of is that microscopic hole in the main jet tube that goes over to the pilot jet tube, it was so tiny I could not clean it with any of my carb cleaning wires. I soaked the carbs but there's no way to blow out that super tiny hole specifically... and if it were slightly clogged, it could be running lean at idle, and then when I give it gas... it runs out, like, maybe there is not enough fuel to get it up to the high speed areas?
That could be a possibility. How long did you soak the carb? I’ve had carbs that took many cleaning to get all the holes and areas cleaned before it would run right. How did it run last year? Or is this machine new to you.

For what it’s worth they are cold blooded engine. My’97 600 Venture, perfectly clean carbs, require half choke till she’s warmed right up. I start it full choke, engine running, half choke, let it idle, then off. Go put clothes on, helmet and take my time, perhpas a beer, if it’s appropriat, lol, then out to sled. At that point it may require 1/2 choke thereafter for 5-10 minutes. Then she’s good to go. BTW: it’s actually a “enrichment circuit“ not a choke. When starting do not touch the throttle while pulling or using the electric starter, it will disable the system.

Back