Phazer 2 Aftermarket Carb setups

bird

I've been searching the past week, and haven't found setups using VM38s or TM(x)38s on a Phazer 2. You can get a set of brand new carbs for $240-$300, which I consider a steal! Not having to deal with crusty old carbs and rebuilds, only to have a clogged circuit and carbs that still run lean in the mid range(my sled has a Pipe Aaen).

I come from Stand Up Jet Skis, so my plan is to make this Phazer 2 ultra reliable and simple. Ripping out all the premix crap, TORS, old carbs, and going with a finger throttle for some real engine control. Thumb throttles are just silly and cause wrist/arm fatigue, while not allowing you to fully grip the bars. Finger throttle fixes all that.

Any photos of your VM38s setups on your Phazer 2s would be GREAT!

Thank you

Yes, it's a bit lite around here.... I'd help, but my experience lies on the 4 stroke side.

I run vmax 600 flatsides in my Phazer with a psi pipe and reeds,148.8 mains rest stock,you’ll need the throttle block and cable along with the chokes,you have to gut the Airbox or run filters, I run filters.

Thank you. I have heard of others putting the vmax carbs on the Phazers.

Any issues with the Hot Air? I'm researching cold air intake builds. Seems simple enough.

Thank you. I have heard of others putting the vmax carbs on the Phazers.

Any issues with the Hot Air? I'm researching cold air intake builds. Seems simple enough.
No, I have a scoop on the clutch cover that directs the engine air out, that tiny air tube on the Airbox seemed kinda small to me for what I’m doing with it,

Update.

I rebuilt the skid on my 1993 Phazer II. New bearings, plastic pulleys, slides, and lubed everything well. I decided to get a new track, since I had everything out. Went with a Camoplast Ice Attack track. It's beautiful :) I turned the drivers around on the drive shaft to get new edges. Replaced my jack shaft bearings and drive shaft bearings. Only ONE bearing in the entire drive train not seized, crunchy, or gritty!

I found some clean 95 VMAX 600 carbs for $130. Rebuilt them with Genuine Mikuni rebuild kits and new jets, 47.5 pilots and 150 mains, middle clip on the needle. Replaced all of my fuel line with Tygon. Rebuilt fuel pump. New Yamaha fuel filter(in the tank). Removed the oil pump, oil tank, and oil gear. All my toys are premix!

Installed the Cold Air intake kit.

Found a Venture 2up seat and recovered it like new. Now the wife can tag along for rides.

Test drove it Saturday. I can't believe how much better it glides and slides with the skid rebuilt, etc. The rear suspension was working, like it never did before. My pilot screws are 1.25 out. At 1.5 turns out, RPMs won't respond to idle screw adjustments.

The previous owner had 2 inch drops in the rear(right angle metal junk). I removed them and put it back to stock. Now the ski pressure up front is normal!

Trails are open, but it's cold. Need to tune the Mid to top end in.

My finger throttle comes this week. Bye bye thumb throttle.

Cheers

Last edited:
Got it on the trail yesterday. Wow this thing is a new sled compared to before!

My mains are too big. It was hard to pull past 55mph without feathering through it. I jetted down from 150s to 145 mains last night. Going to try it on on the trail today.

Back