looking for better off the line power from my 95 phazer

shaggyzr2

I have a 95 phazer, all stock, there is kind of a lag when you pin the throttle, then takes off and goes good. Carbs are rebuilt, new top end with crank seals, clutches are clean and in good shape, clutches aligned, new belt, new drive and jack shaft bearings, new clutch springs, I put a slightly stiffer spring in primary, sled runs great, would just like better take off power. Clutches seem to engage at a rather low RPM, 2200-2500 RPM, thinking maybe some clutching would help, any suggestions?

Jack it up, rev it with the track in the air and watch stuff. If your mounts are shot it could be engaging too early?

What spring did you use? That engagement is really low. OEM stock charts say 3,300 rpm engagement from Yamaha with stock spring. I would actually recommend engagement at least in the high 3,000s for good take off. I found one on the spring charts in the tech section here that might be a good places to start. I would try the Gold-Pink-Gold PN 90501-521J6-00. You could add as many as 3 engagement shims as well if needed. This assumes you don't find any other mechanical problems. Correct Belt?

If all your clutch components are in good order(rollers and weights) then you need to put a spring in it with more initial force to bring the engagement rpm higher. Close to 4000 should launch OK.
Also, the belt in the secondary should sit flush or slightly above sheaves when not moving.

What spring did you use? That engagement is really low. OEM stock charts say 3,300 rpm engagement from Yamaha with stock spring. I would actually recommend engagement at least in the high 3,000s for good take off. I found one on the spring charts in the tech section here that might be a good places to start. I would try the Gold-Pink-Gold PN 90501-521J6-00. You could add as many as 3 engagement shims as well if needed. This assumes you don't find any other mechanical problems. Correct Belt?
I used red blue red

Back