fuel/oil pump

Frankie6972

Hello all, so doing 90% rebuild on my 99 Vmax 700 deluxe. Question, I ordered new pump but can I just delete that pump and just mix as I go? Thanks everyone

Drive those 2 stokes for many many years and never had an issue. When they did fail it was always full open. But your choice.
Yes thats awesome to know that they last, but just like anything mechanical can fail, so was wondering if anyone has done it? Why chance when you can have a fail safe by just mixing yourself

Like people have said, when it fails, it fails wide open, so you have too much oil.
Oil pump would be my last concern.

You could if thats your desire. Eliminating it, uhmm, you’d have to think it through. It can not be physically removed as there would be a hole in the crankcase. I guess you could get fancy and manufacture a cover plate. if you did remove it you still have the oil control cable to tuck away as its part of the throttle cable. Just thinking here a bit, pretty sure that the oil pump does more than supply oil to the fuel pump to be mixed with gasoline before going to the carburetor(s). the oil pump also supplies oil to the shaft that drives both the water pump and oil pump. There is a ball bearing in there that needs oil. Further there is a oil supply line that supplies oil to 2 crankshaft bearings. Pretty sure you want to keep them wet.

So, not so easy to not use the pump as it does other things. You could plug the oil supply line to the fuel pump and directly add oil to the gas tank Keeping the rest of the oil supply doing the other functions. In this case if the oil pump fails, its still going to impact the engine.

Perhaps if you have concerns about the oil pump failing, keep running it as normal, and add a shot of oil directly to the gas tank at whatever ratio you desire. Some people do this as a precaution.

You could if thats your desire. Eliminating it, uhmm, you’d have to think it through. It can not be physically removed as there would be a hole in the crankcase. I guess you could get fancy and manufacture a cover plate. if you did remove it you still have the oil control cable to tuck away as its part of the throttle cable. Just thinking here a bit, pretty sure that the oil pump does more than supply oil to the fuel pump to be mixed with gasoline before going to the carburetor(s). the oil pump also supplies oil to the shaft that drives both the water pump and oil pump. There is a ball bearing in there that needs oil. Further there is a oil supply line that supplies oil to 2 crankshaft bearings. Pretty sure you want to keep them wet.

So, not so easy to not use the pump as it does other things. You could plug the oil supply line to the fuel pump and directly add oil to the gas tank Keeping the rest of the oil supply doing the other functions. In this case if the oil pump fails, its still going to impact the engine.

Perhaps if you have concerns about the oil pump failing, keep running it as normal, and add a shot of oil directly to the gas tank at whatever ratio you desire. Some people do this as a precaution.
Thanks for the reply, I bought a new pump just to be safe and keep it as it is.

Back