Drive shaft chaincase bearing?

crunchie

Having only ripped apart one other sled to remove the track, I sort of remember that the driveshaft bearing inside the chaincase had no seals on my 1995 skidoo Formula Z. I'm currently in the process of changing my track on my 1999 Venture VT500 and to my surprise there's a seal on the bearing inside the chaincase. Is it just me or is this normal? I'm no mechanic but I like to learn.
TIA

yes that is normal. yamaha does that to help keep debris out of that bearing.
Thank you sir. Bearing on the other end of driveshaft is shot to hell but I've seen that often. When the speedometer stops working, that's usually a sign the bearing is toast, has 12000 kms so normal.

np

why i re pack that bearing annually. got 11000 mi on one before the race failed. i replace them now around the 8000 mi mark.

Mine is a sealed bearing, Is yours? If so, do you remove the bearing or just the seal to repack?

You can just remove the seal. If there is any sign of rust, I would change it. There only 20-25 dollars.
I hope they're pre-greased because I installed it like I got it, it's all buttoned up now. :o|

Wonder if it would be better to tap the speedometer housing, install a grease zert and just leave the outside seal off? Grease it before every sled season.

some of the really old sleds where that way. i swear i am going to find studs to put in the old cable ones as it sucks to line them up by yourself.

some of the really old sleds where that way. i swear i am going to find studs to put in the old cable ones as it sucks to line them up by yourself.
Not sure I understand but my sled, 1999 Yamaha Venture VT 500 has 3 studs that are inserted, and stationary, from the inside of the tunnel. I'm guessing you're referring to bolts that need to be put through the tunnel and need to keep them in line while putting on the speedometer housing? That could be a challenge for sure.

yes crunchie, that is what i am refering to. been doing vk 540 sleds lately and they suck to line up the speedo housing without the studs.

Back