How does advanced ignition timing give me more power?

norwegian

I'm going to race my venture 500 at the lowest possible level of amateur racing. I am looking for more bottom end power, so Hauck suggested single layer headgasket and a timing key that advances timing. I can see how the compression gives more power, but not so sure about the timing. Can anyone explain?

I'm going to race my venture 500 at the lowest possible level of amateur racing. I am looking for more bottom end power, so Hauck suggested single layer headgasket and a timing key that advances timing. I can see how the compression gives more power, but not so sure about the timing. Can anyone explain?
There's an ideal ignition timing for maximum power. The factory is very conservative for reliability reasons. When we used to race these sleds we would oblong the holes of the pickup coil so that the head of the allan bolt was right against the coil. That was about 4-5 degrees.
An offset key does the same. Make sure the air gap is minimal.

Thanks, I'm in contact with hauck and they suggested a +3 key, fits right in. Sounds allright. But I still don't understand how it gives more power, more burn/faster burn?

more agressive the timing is the more power it has. with the thin head gasket, make sure you get good gas or it will destroy your motor.

Thanks, I'm in contact with hauck and they suggested a +3 key, fits right in. Sounds allright. But I still don't understand how it gives more power, more burn/faster burn?
Just do a search. Tons of info available online.

Back