1999 VT 500 Broken bolt on prim. sheave cover

crunchie

Did a bit of mtce on my sled's primary sheave. While installing the cover, the spec said to torque to 10 ft/pds. As I was torquing, (I always start lower and work upwards). I was at 6 when it felt like this was a lot for the size of the bolts (M6 x 30). Sure enough, one of the bolts snapped. Luckily it snapped close to the head, not inside the helix. As far as I know my torque wrench is ok, did I do something wrong? TIA

Unless the bolt was compromised prior, I would guess your wrench is lying to you.
Never had a problem with those bolts. 10 Ft Lbs is nothing.

Sounds like the bolts were in kind of an angle. Can you post some pics? The cover bolt torque is 14 nm.

Sounds like the bolts were in kind of an angle. Can you post some pics? The cover bolt torque is 14 nm.
I started the 6 bolts by hand, making sure they were well threaded then proceeded to alternate bolts to ensure the cover was going down as even as I could tell. As far as pictures, I guess you mean the broken bolt? Not much to show other than that. I tossed it out but may be able to find it.

That's weird, they should not just snap. But then again, I use a compressing tool when dealing with these bolts.

I have a dalton clutch dummy tool, it threads to the primary and then you tighten the sleeve over it and it compresses the clutch.

Funny, I used a long nut, bolt and large washers when I removed the cover. Could have used the same rig when I put the bolts in but didn’t think of it.

Funny, I used a long nut, bolt and large washers when I removed the cover. Could have used the same rig when I put the bolts in but didn’t think of it.
That will work. Did you check the weights while you had it apart? They really don't last more than a few thousand km on these machines before you have to replace them.

I had someone with clutch experience and he said they weren’t that bad at all. Maybe the previous owner had them changed at some point.

That's good news. I spent some money on my 97 venture 500 lc to make it perform better. I put on a tempaflow, dupont slides, hauck x weighs, hauck roller secondary and 14,5 mm rollers and a blue white blue spring. It made a real difference waking up the sled, and on a long trip I even got like 11,5 mpg. Usually not that good, because I ride it far to agressively. With the 19/39 gearing it came with here in europe, I get 145 on the speedo (90 mph).

Back