94 VMax 600 lower gear side play?

Olivia317

VIP Member
Hey guys, I've got a 94 VMax600 that my high school students are rebuilding. They started putting the chain case back together when I noticed a lot of side to side play in the lower gear. I did not take it apart. I can slide the gear on the shaft in and out 4-5mm. The gears are in alignment and the chain is straight. 9AE6DC3E-48A3-4BE7-A327-165FB4CF754D_1_201_a.jpegThere are no missing parts and the case is assembled correctly based on the parts diagram. Does the lower gear "float" on the axle shaft like the secondary does?

I have never owned a 94 Vmax.
The drive shaft on the "pogo stick" pre trailing arm Vmaxs has a large nut on the speedo side end of the shaft that secures the shaft in position by seating it in the speedo side bearing. The 97 and up trailing arm Vmaxs secured the driveshaft in position on the opposite side by tightening the bottom gear down which pulled the drive shaft into position by seating the drive shaft shoulder against the chain case bottom gear.
Having said that its probably not an issue on the 94 Vmax to have the bottom gear free to float.

Just took my 94 VMAX apart for a track swap. There is a spacer / bushing that goes on there first before the bolt and washer. It is identical to the top spacer.

Back