vmax rear spring questions.....

hardwurr

Hi, I recently picked up a 98 vmax xtc, looking around for a heavier spring for the rear shock and am striking out....I am a larger fellow and would like to beef up the suspension. All of the part numbers I have found for the heavier rear spring from yamaha are non existant on the internet. wondering if anyone has used a helper spring or possibly a spring from a venture. they mention in the suspension tuning video yamaha put out that the springs for the steel body shocks wont work for the aluminum body shocks so i think the venture spring is a no go. thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20221117_204943.jpg
    20221117_204943.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3

the 05 sx venture my dad has came with steel bodied shocks and the shock is the same legnth as the stock sx viper shocks. the sxr/viper/rx 1 shocks bolt up in that skid to convert the rear on your sled to long travel (11.5" travel) and back in the day guys where doing that mod for a better ride. i think the 02 viper spring was heavier but did not own that sled back then. did use one as a substiute on the venture and it handled 2 up riding with no issues last season. usually run olin's on that sled unless they are out for service.

XTC is already long travel.
If it was me, I would make sure the setting for the rear shock adjuster is on "C", and then turn the spring adjusters in as far as you think you should.
Could be done without removing rear suspension. Not fun, but can be done.

XTC is already long travel.
If it was me, I would make sure the setting for the rear shock adjuster is on "C", and then turn the spring adjusters in as far as you think you should.
Could be done without removing rear suspension. Not fun, but can be done.
I already had the suspension out and made adjustments would just like a little more without it cranked down on the spring as far as it is. Yamaha max adjustment spec is a little over 3 inches from the shock eye for the spring adjuster and I have it at about 4 inches.

the 05 sx venture my dad has came with steel bodied shocks and the shock is the same legnth as the stock sx viper shocks. the sxr/viper/rx 1 shocks bolt up in that skid to convert the rear on your sled to long travel (11.5" travel) and back in the day guys where doing that mod for a better ride. i think the 02 viper spring was heavier but did not own that sled back then. did use one as a substiute on the venture and it handled 2 up riding with no issues last season. usually run olin's on that sled unless they are out for service.
Øhlins of Sweden is very much alive. Don't know if they make shocks for this sled anymore though.

Hi, I recently picked up a 98 vmax xtc, looking around for a heavier spring for the rear shock and am striking out....I am a larger fellow and would like to beef up the suspension. All of the part numbers I have found for the heavier rear spring from yamaha are non existant on the internet. wondering if anyone has used a helper spring or possibly a spring from a venture. they mention in the suspension tuning video yamaha put out that the springs for the steel body shocks wont work for the aluminum body shocks so i think the venture spring is a no go. thanks in advance.
When was the shock last serviced? Could be blown. You could also get a 02 viper rear shock and get it revalved stiffer to like what it was when it came from the factory. Normal guys were complaining about a way too stiff ride.

Yep, thats a good idea.
I actually ended up with some of those new 2002 Viper take offs from the dealership I used to work at.

Also, should note that if the top spacers are removed from the transfer rods, a softer ride is the result.

Øhlins of Sweden is very much alive. Don't know if they make shocks for this sled anymore though.
the set i have came through pioneer performance in usa when they where still around. it is getting harder to get all the good suspension parts for the suspensions for these older sleds. now a days hygear might be the only guys willing to make something.

Also, should note that if the top spacers are removed from the transfer rods, a softer ride is the result.
You mean the plastic spacers on top? If you remove them you will have metal to metal contact when it compresses.

Back