Srx suspension setup help please

nick5oh

Looking for some help on setting up my 99 Srx 700 with ohlins up front, stock suspension and bender transfer rods. I’ve watched the pro action tuning video and also read the manual to educate myself a little. The manual mentions to set preload/spring lengths to certain measurements (soft, standard, hard) but doesn’t tell you whether or not to do it with suspension hanging or on the ground. It does mention that the rear shock should be removed to adjust but I don’t know if that’s cause it’s difficult to get in the with the tools they recommend or if that’s the way it’s supposed to be done. Front shocks and also front shock in the rear there’s no mention of doing it on the ground or suspension hanging. I was thinking I would just set everything on the hard setting so it’s all tight and fast and then I could adjust the FRA looser if I wanted as that’s the quick way to make bigger changes and the spring heights are fine tuning. The sled also has bender transfer rods on it which I’m having a heard time finding info to set those up correctly. If anyone can shed some light on this subject for me that would be awesome and very much appreciated. It’s a trail sled so that’s how I want to set it up. I’d be interested in what adjustment to make in regards to setting it up for max traction and transfer if I wanna run on the lake as well. Thanks

idk about the transfer rods but i can point you the right way on how to get a good base line to start from.

set the front suspension 1st. you want to loosen the springs until the radius rods are almost parallel to the ground with the weight on the sled. follow steps in this link to make sure your steering is spot on

https://totallyamaha.com/snowmobiles/aaTECH/Ski_Alignment/Ski_Alignment2.htm

once that is done, suspend the rear of the sled and set the front skid shock spring tension so that the spring is stiff to turn by hand on the shock and then lock it there.

now to set the rear shock will be a bit of a pain but it will be worth it. 1st thing is to set the fra (slot at the front end of the rear shock) in the middle of the slot. then you need to have the sled on the ground and the rider needs to sit on it. you are looking at the transfer rods to be 50/50 or 60/40 for the best ride/transfer trail riding. adjust the spring tighter or looser to get this result with the rear of the sled suspended to adjust and putting it down and sitting on it to confirm the adjustment is right before locking the spring adj.

this is how i set all my proactions and any i come across that need help with how their sled sits and handles.

idk about the transfer rods but i can point you the right way on how to get a good base line to start from.

set the front suspension 1st. you want to loosen the springs until the radius rods are almost parallel to the ground with the weight on the sled. follow steps in this link to make sure your steering is spot on

https://totallyamaha.com/snowmobiles/aaTECH/Ski_Alignment/Ski_Alignment2.htm

once that is done, suspend the rear of the sled and set the front skid shock spring tension so that the spring is stiff to turn by hand on the shock and then lock it there.

now to set the rear shock will be a bit of a pain but it will be worth it. 1st thing is to set the fra (slot at the front end of the rear shock) in the middle of the slot. then you need to have the sled on the ground and the rider needs to sit on it. you are looking at the transfer rods to be 50/50 or 60/40 for the best ride/transfer trail riding. adjust the spring tighter or looser to get this result with the rear of the sled suspended to adjust and putting it down and sitting on it to confirm the adjustment is right before locking the spring adj.

this is how i set all my proactions and any i come across that need help with how their sled sits and handles.
Thanks for the help! I guess the only thing I’m kinda screwed on is the rear shock adjustment as my transfer rods are adjustable lol.
What kinda spring length do you usually end up with for the rear shock? Is it kind of like the front shock where you coil it up right until it gets harder to turn by hand? Or more?

the rear one, you have to have fairly tight to support your weight.

the only proaction i have set lately is a 05 sx venture that i re installed the olins back onto after rebuild/service but those sleds are long travel (11.5") vs the srx at 8.5" travel, so measurements from it will be wrong even if it wasn't a 2 up.

i would suggest starting at about 1/4 of the adjustment tightened and tighten/loosen from there.

i can measure the gap on the transfer rods suspended and you can adjust to that spec and get the proper ride height before playing with them for how you want it to act. did have them from another company on my sx500r but never did adjust them out of stock spec.

Back