1990 Yamaha Phazer 2 advice please

George

Hello all.

Working on my nephews sled. Was running right. Pulled the top. The left cylinders top ring was stuck.
The local shop was no help. Acted like they didn’t even want to talk to me. No advice, I got the feeling he wanted to charge me all kinds of money to work on it. 🙄

Why would that one ring stick?

I cleaned the ring up and the groove on the piston. Other than that everything looked fine.

What’s the chances of me putting it back together and everything working out?

Help, advice?

Thank you all.
George

welcome!

pretty good if you used all new gaskets and made sure all gasket surfaces are clean. did it before with my dad on a 75 gs338 that burnt a hole in the piston from parts book listing wrong spark plugs. put a used piston into it with rings that came out and it was still running when i last heard of it over 15 years ago. just be aware that it will take longer for the rings to seat back in for full compression vs new with a hone for crosshatch on jug.

welcome!

pretty good if you used all new gaskets and made sure all gasket surfaces are clean. did it before with my dad on a 75 gs338 that burnt a hole in the piston from parts book listing wrong spark plugs. put a used piston into it with rings that came out and it was still running when i last heard of it over 15 years ago. just be aware that it will take longer for the rings to seat back in for full compression vs new with a hone for crosshatch on jug.
Alright. Thank you very much for your input!
New gaskets are in the way.

Check the oil line under the carb boot for cracks. Also make sure the oil adjustment is enough. Check for air leaks. Not letting it warm up enough can cause piston expansion into the walls. Operating in too cold of weather for jetting is another possibility. Adjustment between carbs that sync them. Fuel/Air screw way off. Make sure to use the stock air box. Other things I'm probably forgetting

Hello all.

Working on my nephews sled. Was running right. Pulled the top. The left cylinders top ring was stuck.
The local shop was no help. Acted like they didn’t even want to talk to me. No advice, I got the feeling he wanted to charge me all kinds of money to work on it. 🙄

Why would that one ring stick?

I cleaned the ring up and the groove on the piston. Other than that everything looked fine.

What’s the chances of me putting it back together and everything working out?

Help, advice?

Thank you all.
George
Had it been sitting for a long time?

Back