1983 SS 440

Fire2818

Hey everyone, glad to be here! 30 years ago, I started out riding my dads SS 440. To bring back memories, I started looking for one too buy. I have a brand new sled but wanted this just for fun. I found one very cheap in good shape. Motor is great and has no cosmetic issues. Rear suspension is another story. I know they were nothing special, but I have 0 movement and the snow flap is dragging. I’ve tried looking for a rear shock on eBay but m having no luck. Any ideas? Or is there a generic one I can try?

I had a look at parts diagram on partszilla and just guessing year , it has open shock
and separate springs on front and possibly jus a coil over shock on the rear..
Unless the spring is broken or seized to tube on the shock it should work.
i doubt there is an internal spring . Usual culprit would be the tubing is seized
or bent surrounding the rear cross axle to from. I have shelf of 77 PR440 susp
and they will all be stiff enough that if you could compress them , they would stay stuck down.
Mine are aluminum shafts in steel tubes which don't work well with time.
You may need to remove susp and split the tube length ways with a cutter, remove shaft
and reweld the seam a bit looser with a mig... shocks suppress as collapsing
and keep from rebounding violently ... Have look
Tracks never go back in as easy as out...My VK manual shows stuffing it in
while sled on its edge , and it works
Ron
My PR have spring over shock and springs in rear

pull the suspension to check the shafts and linkages are not seized. good time to add grease zerks too while it is out.

if the shock is toast, you could always try one of the amazon ones as if my memory serves, that is a coil over shock in that sled.

Also check to see if your rear pivot arm has flipped forward past centre. If the rear limiter strap is broken or replaced with one that is too long it will flip and the rear end will drop and stay down.

Back