1998 Vt 700.

Still having a hard time locating the condenser. I see the voltage and rectifier also reverse alarm. Will look again....
Question repaired the harness under the exhaust manifold looks like the mice chewed the insulation cover off. Engine will start using electric start. But no spark when using the recoil. Key switch if good. Possible that the condenser is bad?
Also if I leave the key on and use the kill switch the battery will drain overnight?
Thanks for any info on these issues

usually the light smoothing condensor is not on a factory e start sled as the battery performs that function.

sounds like you might have the wiring rub through under the engine that was common on these sleds.

usually the light smoothing condensor is not on a factory e start sled as the battery performs that function.

sounds like you might have the wiring rub through under the engine that was common on these sleds.
Yes it had 3 wires that a mouse had chewed bare under the exhaust manifold. Pulled the harness out from going under the stator housing and removed all the E tape. Repaired the chewed wires. Rerouted the harness to the battery cable going to starter then down to factory metal clamps under manifold. But even with the plugs out can't generate spark using the recoil. Removed the flywheel which was rusty and cleaned back to bare metal.
Did notice that 2 of the bare wires were oxidized badly. Both had turned black when stripped back to bare wire. Might have to replace main harness?
Almost like recoil cranking speed is not enough to generate spark. E start no problem will fire up recoil well you can pull until your arm falls off. Not that it should matter 22Ks on sled.

try pulling it over with ign switch bypassed. had one burn out the run terminal in the ign switch before.

try pulling it over with ign switch bypassed. had one burn out the run terminal in the ign switch before.
I've unhooked the ignition switch still no spark. On a mountain max I was working on the owner lost the key. Unhooked the key switch to move the sled around. No tach or grip warmers but still started. The only other think I'm thinking a broken wire in the harness. But trying to follow tge schematic wiring diagram is almost impossible. Going to see if incan find a used harness

Back