VMAX 600 primary spider removal tools

keverg

Hello all. I ordered an SPI complete clutch kit with new bushings. I have the clutch off my 94 VMAX 600. How domi separate the spider from the main clutch body? Special tools? Any help greatly appreciated.

I'm half way done making my own also.lol .... Do you know if I heat sheave or the spider on the 94 600 VMax . thank again!

Heat the inner sheave right at the bottom where the spider screws in. It helps loosen up the loctite around that area. . Remember its left handed thread when you break her loose.

Thanks blevis. Heated with map gas today, came loose. Heated a couple more times to keep it coming loose. Worked great! Also, I made my own tools, thanks shaggy, wasn't hard at all. Just waiting for the new Yamaha bushings before I put it back together....
I have blue loctite and red loctite on hand, no green.... I assume is should use the red loctite??? Thanks again all, this site is a wealth of knowledge. I love servicing my own sleds!!!!

Thanks blevis. Heated with map gas today, came loose. Heated a couple more times to keep it coming loose. Worked great! Also, I made my own tools, thanks shaggy, wasn't hard at all. Just waiting for the new Yamaha bushings before I put it back together....
I have blue loctite and red loctite on hand, no green.... I assume is should use the red loctite??? Thanks again all, this site is a wealth of knowledge. I love servicing my own sleds!!!!
Great.
Just a word of caution on those SPI kits. Some of the parts(but not all) in that kit aren't exactly of great quality.
The spider slider buttons for example I don't like.
Yamaha offers a spider shim part number 8bw-17654-20-00

I agree nitro! Wished I did not order the kit. I ended up using the rollers and bushings. They were perfect. The bushings for the weights were a little too short and also tight to tap in place, however.. they were long enough to reach the set screws so I used them. Also, the tight factor made my weights almost perfect with little to no play at all. Also I re-used the oem plastic washers, SPI washers were thinner. My clutch had one shim on each spider already, so the slider buttons actually worked perfect once I polished the clutch slots clean!
But the bushings to replace the bronze bushings were TOTALLY wrong. Won't even install. I ordered OEM bushings to install before assembly. Overall the rollers and bushings alone probably saved save me some cash, they look to be good quality, time will tell. Thanks all for the advice!

Back