99’ Srx700 fouling plugs

Skmotorsports3

I have my 99 srx 700, I posted a thread before on it shooting flames, well I rode it for a few miles and it blew all 3 pistons, the previous owner never took good care of it so the pistons were already damaged before I ever knew it existed, anyway we rebuilt it, brand new pistons and gaskets, but our issue is it keeps fouling plugs out to the point where there is no spark.

We have noticed it smokes a lot too, not from the assembly lube, it smokes like it’s not using all the oil and it’s burning the excess, which makes me think it’s using too much oil, that would explain the plug issue, not to mention I filled the oil tank full before I rode it, I put maybe 17 miles on before it blew, and for 17 miles, that tank has gone down a quite a bit more than it should for 17 miles.

Now the fun part, the oil cable that connects to the throttle is 20 mm measured gap to gap which is to spec, the throttle is set to spec, I can’t figure out why it is using all this oil, it runs great otherwise, all 3 pistons fire, but if u don’t hammer on it it will bog out and die, you will have to choke it to keep it on no matter how warm it is.

Would love to get this running again. Any input on what can be wrong would be helpful. Thanks

sounding like the oil pump has failed. when oil pump fails on a yamaha, they fail in the full on position.

Is there a way to confirm that? The pumps aren’t expensive to get used, but I think changing the pump out my be a slight pain but I just wanna make sure that’s the only thing I need, we’re getting snow dumped on us right now and I would love to ride it this weekend and not have to sit and wait for another part just in case.

If it uses more than one liter of oil per tank of fuel then you may have a pump problem.
If the pump has failed and gone into max pump setting, it would be double or more.
The 98 and 99's were known for fouling plugs, but mostly at start up and warm up. Not while riding.
The cylinders were in good condition after the piston failures?
It would be unusual to have three piston failures and not have at least one cylinder damaged.
How many miles on the sled? Does fuel mileage seem normal.
It could need new main nozzles as they wear out with miles and cause a mid range rich condition.

It fouls plugs only on startup yes, riding it all 3 pistons fire so we’re good there. But we’ve gone through maybe 2 sets of br9ecs plugs in it, and it again smokes of burning oil. I think you are both right about the oil pump being out, that logically makes sense. Fuel mileage is pretty normal, nothing crazy, but oil on the other hand, is getting used like crazy.

It fouls plugs only on startup yes, riding it all 3 pistons fire so we’re good there. But we’ve gone through maybe 2 sets of br9ecs plugs in it, and it again smokes of burning oil. I think you are both right about the oil pump being out, that logically makes sense. Fuel mileage is pretty normal, nothing crazy, but oil on the other hand, is getting used like crazy.
Ok, if it is using more than one liter per full tank of fuel, than it probably needs a pump.
I quit using the ECS plugs and just use the ES.
Just be sure to always run premium, I never had issues using the ES.

Are there seals or anything I have to replace when replacing the pump? Just making sure I order everything

I remember the original 98 SRXs being very susceptible to fouling plugs especially if the oil pump was on the rich side or sled was flooded on cold starts.
Like 74 Nitro said, most 98/99 SRX owners switched to the BR9ES plugs.
Another item to check/replace is the spark plug caps. The caps have resisters in them that can fail creating weak or no spark.
Plugs will foul very quickly with weak spark.

As a sidenote:
My wife's 2002 600 Vmax needs the oil pump cable gap setting much wider then specs to get its oil usage down to a litre/tank.

Well I gave up on ordering an oil pump, it would be here like next week sometime, we got bad weather going on right now.

I’ll try loosening the oil pump cable, maybe that is the simple issue.
We ordered some sets of br9ecs plugs to put it it, if that solves my oil issue I’ll just run those, we run a mechanics shop so br9es are what we carry the most, so if I’m fouling plugs still I’ll just run those and forget about the ecs.

I also noticed we have a red head mountain max in the shop too, that oil pump cable is actually pretty tight, it isn’t loose, the owners said it wasn’t using any oil so we looked at it real quick, it has extensions on it because they put risers on, and the oil cable was not even connected to the throttle, that was funny so I just put it back in and it fired up just fine.

On a side note, I bought a speedo gauge of eBay for the 700, none of the lights work on it, and the bulbs aren’t burned out, would anyone know why it’s like that. The old gauge it had on was broken completely, but even then those lights even worked on it.

Well I gave up on ordering an oil pump, it would be here like next week sometime, we got bad weather going on right now.

I’ll try loosening the oil pump cable, maybe that is the simple issue.
We ordered some sets of br9ecs plugs to put it it, if that solves my oil issue I’ll just run those, we run a mechanics shop so br9es are what we carry the most, so if I’m fouling plugs still I’ll just run those and forget about the ecs.

I also noticed we have a red head mountain max in the shop too, that oil pump cable is actually pretty tight, it isn’t loose, the owners said it wasn’t using any oil so we looked at it real quick, it has extensions on it because they put risers on, and the oil cable was not even connected to the throttle, that was funny so I just put it back in and it fired up just fine.

On a side note, I bought a speedo gauge of eBay for the 700, none of the lights work on it, and the bulbs aren’t burned out, would anyone know why it’s like that. The old gauge it had on was broken completely, but even then those lights even worked on it.
Where are you located?

Alright I tried adjusting the oil cable, I must be dumb or something but I didn’t use the caliper correctly the first time, I measured it now and some moron set it to 16 mm. It was getting way to much oil. Now it’s perfectly fine, uses a fair amount and doesn’t smoke like crazy.
Got to ride it a bit, runs on all 3, has plenty of power, but it’s running too rich, it’s jetted slightly rich but it ran just fine before, now it won’t idle and will just bog out and die. But when you hit that throttle you better be holding on, but it won’t idle.

I’m gonna pull the carbs off and see if I can adjust the floats and make it so it isn’t getting so much fuel. Feel free to chime in on this, yes the jets are very well a factor in the issue but it was ran the same place at the same temperature and idled just fine. Now it won’t.

Back